SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#69561 - 11/26/09 07:16 PM Knowledge to Share
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
There are a group of talented keyboard players in this forum that can and would be willing to share their knowledge. After reading Colin’s post on chords I believe that would be a great place to start.

If you are interested in the idea please post saying so.

John C.

#69562 - 11/26/09 08:05 PM Re: Knowledge to Share
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I would LOVE to know how other players play substitute or additional in their songs ...
t.

#69563 - 11/27/09 03:53 AM Re: Knowledge to Share
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
John,

Your suggestion that SZ members should use the forum to impart their musical (and playing) knowledge to others, is a nice thought. But surely impractical. ?

The subjects that might be raised, might not only be 'subjective', but almost impossible to pass on to others, without taking up too much 'air-space' on the forum.

Some members who are exceedingly clever from a 'technical' standpoint, would probably need many column inches, to adequately get their message across. - Whilst any attempts to put across information concerning 'chord-work' etc, only describe what is after all 'a personal view'. ?

One player's choice of chords, is not another's. In my previous post, Tony used the expression 'PROVIDED they are the proper replacement chords'. And thereby hangs controversy. !! - Who determines 'proper chord progressions'. ? I know precisely what Tony meant when coining the phrase. And although there are accepted 'chord progressions', all of us will actually chose and use, not only the chords we know, but those that result in a 'SOUND' that pleases us. - With the realisation also, that there are many chords we don't know, which we would dearly love to know, and use. - Cheers,

Colin.

#69564 - 11/27/09 04:22 AM Re: Knowledge to Share
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
This should not be a deep in depth study, rather group of little possible tricks so that direction might be given. You will need to pick and chose because as Colin said, not all is good for everybody. My example below.

First step – The key of C major scale where there are no flats or sharps.
1- C D E F G A B C
2- Place a number under each step of the scale.
C = I D = II E = III F = IV G = V A = VI B = VII

By using these numbers we can apply the same knowledge to every key.
Example; I in the key of C Major is a C --- I in the key of G Major is G
III in the key of C major is E -- III in the key of D Major is F#
If more information is needed email me.

Idea #1
Playing in the key of C Major – at the end of a song – G7 go to C Major chord
We can also write that as V7 going I

Whenever you are about to end a song, in this case in the key of C Major, the progression normally will be, but not always, G7 C or V7 I

In place of the V chord sub a bII7 chord. The bII7 refers to the second step of the C major scale which is D and making it a D flat and adding a 7th. You can also play the G7 (V7) and then play the Db (bII7) and end in with the C chord.

Future Ideas will not be the length of this post, the first steps will not needed to be written each time allow a much shorter post.

John C.

#69565 - 11/27/09 04:41 AM Re: Knowledge to Share
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Here is a chord substitution primer I found. Just Google "chord substitution".
http://www.maximummusician.com/articlechordprimer.htm

Bernie

#69566 - 11/27/09 07:51 AM Re: Knowledge to Share
D.Munson Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by bruno123:
There are a group of talented keyboard players in this forum that can and would be willing to share their knowledge. After reading Colin’s post on chords I believe that would be a great place to start.

If you are interested in the idea please post saying so.

John C.

This is not a case of passing on knowledge, more of a query, but whoever answers it it may help. What I would like to know is is it possible to change the rotary speed in the drawbar section other than just slow or fast?
Derek

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online