SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#68008 - 01/13/09 06:05 PM The Four Expansion Boards - Totally Disappointed
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
Hi everyone,

I finally received all four Expansion boards for the KN7000. I must say that it was a lot of money spent for nothing. I find all these sounds nothing more than a rehash of what is already in the keyboard. It is just a matter of one going into Sound Edit and doing your own changes. Of course, one has to know how to do this. I had high hopes for the EW04 because it was the one that most wanted. I was told that it had a great Sax soloist sound as well as other acoustic sounds. I can truthfully say that there isn’t a sound that I like better than what is already in the keyboard. I found the drum kits to be nothing more than just jostling around the drum kits already in the keyboard. I could go on but you get my point. This is only my personal opinion but I find them a total waste of money. I guess the only thing I can say good about them is that they will add value to my keyboard should the day come that I sell it. I would be interested in an honest evaluation of these expansion boards from others.

Mark

#68009 - 01/20/09 07:55 PM Re: The Four Expansion Boards - Totally Disappointed
kitkat Offline

I am surprised that no one has responded to my post. Either no one has these boards or they have neither good or bad to say about them. Interesting.

#68010 - 01/21/09 02:05 AM Re: The Four Expansion Boards - Totally Disappointed
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
I'll reply to you Mark.
I did not bother to buy any of the expansion boards once I realised that they were only sounds and not styles. It is styles that make good arranger keyboard music not subtle changes in sounds, IMO...
Rog

#68011 - 01/21/09 04:44 AM Re: The Four Expansion Boards - Totally Disappointed
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I owned 3 of the 4 expansion boards but sold them on to other owners, after 'playing' with them for a few months. While some of the sounds were quite good, some were - in my opinion - awful. Many of them seemed to be modifications of the sounds already in the KN7000 and these 'New Sounds' could often be achieved by using the Sound Editor, built in to the KN7000. My basic opinion of these expansion boards, is similar to Mark's.

Since I like to share my efforts on the KN7000 with other owners, if I used any of the expansion boards in a KN7000 recording, unless the other owners had the same expansion boards fitted, they would not be able to take advantage of the 'New' sounds and their KN7000 would just substitute one of the built-in sounds, which kind of defeats the object!

I agree with Roger's remarks about the styles mainly being responsible for achieving a good sounding arrangement and is the main reason why I usually create my own styles - particularly for the more modern songs/tunes. However, I feel that the Sounds are also very important if you are trying to achieve a reasonably authentic result - for example - a 'Hank Marvin' guitar

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#68012 - 01/21/09 08:56 AM Re: The Four Expansion Boards - Totally Disappointed
kitkat Offline

Thanks, guys. I appreciate your comments and the problems that it would cause using them sending songs to other members. There seems to be such a demand for them in general. They always bring a premium on eBay. With my negative response to them, I didn't want members to feel I was a "sour grapes" guy regarding them. To me, none of the strings on these boards sound as good as what is in the keyboard. The EW04 is considered the most desirable of the lot and listening to all the sounds on it was disappointing. I was surprised to hear a trumpet sound that sounded almost exactly like one I created in Sound Edit. Actually, I feel mine is better. Anyway, my friends, thanks again for you comments. I hope others respond. We all have different opinions - likes and dislikes.

Mark

#68013 - 01/21/09 02:42 PM Re: The Four Expansion Boards - Totally Disappointed
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
Although I never have heard any of the exspansion boards, they never did appeal to me.

It seems to me that the 7K is so very versitile. I like to "tweak the sounds in the styles, and "tweak" the sounds in the sounds.... Additionally, I have music from others who play the 7K and it is fun to listen & try to figure out what sounds and styles they use.

The 7K is my 5th Technics KN.... I already knew the "program" of "creating" additional products for owners to purchase....

All of you have confirmed what I had figured out without buying the expansion boards myself.... )

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online