SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#67704 - 11/18/08 08:48 PM A Yamah Tyros 3 or a Technics KN7000
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
When I sold my Tyros 1 and latter the Tyros 2 my prediction was that the Tyros 3 would have bridged the gap between Yamaha and Technics. From all reports I think I was right, they are just about there. If Technics did not leave us there would be no need for this post.

All the new keyboards favor more of the contemporary music. If you play at home and love Big band music and music from the 20’s,30’s,40’s and 50’s do not part with your Technics keyboard you WILL be disappointed. If you are a pro and your people are in their 40’s, 50’s and 60’s it would be a good choice to step to a Tyros 2 or Tyros3. The Ty3 being closer to the KN7.

Why?
1-The instrument is designed for younger music.

2-The styles have been created for younger music.
The same Yamaha style will not and can not sound the same as the Yamaha. It is a different animal, each created to do something very special. Playing Misty or I can’t get started on a Yamaha leaves much to be desired, mostly because of the bass. I find the bass so annoying that I revoice the style with a bass closer to what is on the KN7. But without Yamaha’s basses you will fall short with contemporary music. Changing the tone and volume will not do it.

3-One of the nicest features on the Yamaha keyboard is being able to record a song and share it with any one who can play midi files – they do not even need a keyboard just a midi files.

4-USB support –using a memory stick, now that’s good. Unlimited songs, Registrations, styles, Unlimited Revoiced instruments and unlimited Audio files -- the size of you memory stick makes the limitation. I can record a sequence, play it back and add my voice and guitar (Another instrument) and record that as an audio file.

5-Working with my computer or my keyboard SUB memory stick is almost identical.

I could name another 10 features which would add to use and playing the keyboard but not now.

6-This is a good one – The Registrations --- In one bank of registrations I can vary whatever I wish to save in each registration. In other words I can save with Tempo control on #1 Reg. and not on #2 Reg. I have the freedom/option of saving whatever I wish in each Reg. without going to an expand button.

Have said all that If you love lies in the music of the 30’s to 50’s don let go of your Technics keyboard the new latest features will not satisfied that love.

My best example:
Listening to Glenn Miller play one of his songs and then listening to that same some played LIVE by one of the top Big Band of today—not the same, the heart of the musician is different and so is the basic design of the instruments and set-up.

I do hope this helps those who have interest in Yamaha. For myself, I now own a S900 Yamaha and may possibly move to Tyros 3.

No keyboard has it all, the KN7 did come so very close.

IMHO, John C.

#67705 - 11/19/08 06:10 AM Re: A Yamah Tyros 3 or a Technics KN7000
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Thank you John. Very informative. I have watched the release of the Tyros 3 with a lot of anticipation. I will never intentionally part with my beloved KN7000 and will play it as long as it lasts. But we all need something new once in a while. I am very impressed with the way you can trigger slurs etc with key velocity using the T-3. Or, if you want, you can trigger those voices with a foot pedal. Some of the super articulation sounds are breathtaking. I guess it depends on what we each feel we need. I always thought that people that stacked keyboards on top of each other were in an over-kill mode. But, I’m thinking about stacking a KN7000 and a T-3 so I can have some of the Yamaha super articulation voices working with KN7000 styles. This makes internal sequencing almost impossible but I think it would be a lot of fun.

#67706 - 11/19/08 03:11 PM Re: A Yamah Tyros 3 or a Technics KN7000
fmlk Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Just go to:
http://www.vision-4-life.nl/php_UK/viewpage.php?page_id=17

and listen to the music in the top mp3 player. And compare with the third player. Comparing keyboards can best be done by listening.

Then tell me is T3 comparable with KN7000?

------------------

#67707 - 11/20/08 12:47 AM Re: A Yamah Tyros 3 or a Technics KN7000
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Bruno,

I find your comments on the Tyros 3 very interesting. You may or may not know that a similar topic came up recently in another thread and I repeat below my own comments on the T3:-

"I recently had a 'live' two hours, one-to-one demonstration on the Tyros 3 given by Richard Bower one of Yamaha's leading musicians and I have to say I was greatly impressed. He didn't waste time playing the best preset styles as so many demonstrators do, but spent a great deal of time clearly answering all of my questions (I took a list with me ha! ha!) taking me through each action step by step.

When he was going through the styles and sounds, it sounded to me like some of the Technics 'know-how' has been used on the T3
making it very 'User Friendly'. I particularly liked the Grand Piano. I liked the fact that MP3 CDs could be made direct using the 80gb Hard Drive (although I did wonder whether it would be large enough for some). I liked several other features particularly the two pads for Pitch Bend and Modulation, the super articulation (which really does do what it claims to do) and the fact that with the OTS on if you press the three lower notes in the lefthand, you can knock out the accompaniment and just have a drum/or any other instrumental solo. I wasn't too happy about not being able to 'contrast' the screen but I was assured that now TFT is being used, this wouldn't be neccesary - thinking of one of my venues which is held in a large conservatory and you're in the sun most of the time, that remains to be seen. I also said I thought the Keyboard was overpriced but no comment was made....

I am finding it increasingly more difficult to transport all my gear, and the T3 is much lighter in weight which is the main reason I am interested in it.

My overall impression is that Yamaha have caught up with the Technics KN7 if not in the technology, certainly in the 'User Friendly' approach to playing the Tyros 3."

The T3 is certainly more advanced in technology than the T1 & 2 with better sounds and more facilities, but my understanding is that for those who have the earlier models, it will not be a problem to transfer favourites/settings to the T3.

However, I have learned something I find unbelievable and that is, the T2 ON/Off button is at the BACK of the instrument. This has definitely put me off buying one, because of the small size of the room I use, my keyboards have to be up against the wall and all are linked up to other gear which would mean pulling out the keyboard everytime to switch on/off. No! I don't want the hassle of having to do that everytime I want to play, so I'll stick with my KN7s. Whoever dreamed up that idea, I wonder?

Audrey

#67708 - 11/21/08 04:37 PM Re: A Yamah Tyros 3 or a Technics KN7000

Audrey,
I normally use and extension with six outlets and an on and off switch. Every thing but the amplifier is connected, no reaching behind. I used a Vocalist and an equalizer.

I must admit that reach was not a problem, I did without looking, and I just reach over where I knew it could be.

Since you’re coming from a Technics and possibly going to a TY3 I’ll wait for your opinion.

John C.

#67709 - 11/22/08 03:30 PM Re: A Yamah Tyros 3 or a Technics KN7000
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Bruno,

Thank you for your comments. My son is a fully trained electrician so when we moved to this bunglow in 2002, he put in several extra individual 'power surge' sockets to accommodate all my PC and music gear, with a Master Mains Protected Socket to each, so that I can switch either 'On' or 'Off' in one go and my intention was to use the Mains switch rather than the T3 if I did get one.

However, having read your reply, I spoke to him about this, and he said it would not be a problem to change the operation so that I can switch off the keyboard either from a 'stand alone' socket attached to the wall with easy access or, as you suggested, I could use 'protected' separately switched sockets which would also cut down the electricity usage. He's waiting on my decision.

One of our members is having a Tyros 3 delivered to his home next week, and has invited me round to "have a go" so I'll wait until I know a bit more about it before making a final decision.

Audrey

#67710 - 11/22/08 04:00 PM Re: A Yamah Tyros 3 or a Technics KN7000

Audrey,
Getting a new keyboard is exciting isn’t it – At this stage in my life there are few things I really get excited about, sooooo.

John C.

#67711 - 11/22/08 04:31 PM Re: A Yamah Tyros 3 or a Technics KN7000
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
John, I think it's some kind of illness . . . I just counted them, and I have six keyboards and am thinking about getting the T-3. If it was one of my kids I would be scolding them about "not having enough hands" or something . . .

#67712 - 11/22/08 11:28 PM Re: A Yamah Tyros 3 or a Technics KN7000

Bob,
I spend no money on drinking or smoking, my home is modest with modest furniture and my last four cars were not new. But --- I never missed the new models Technics had to offer and now I’m doing the same with Yamaha.

When a new keyboard comes I find myself totally consumed, I read about it, play with and sometimes I just stare and smile. The last time I became so excited about a new toy was when I was living in my Dad’s house and it was Christmas time.

We are having dinner guests for this coming Thanksgiving, we invited our guests for a good meal followed by a sing-a-long. I’m entertaining in my home, a first for me. The lyrics will go to a projector from my keyboard and will be shown on a screen. I’m looking forward to a nice time.

John C.

#67713 - 11/24/08 02:29 PM Re: A Yamah Tyros 3 or a Technics KN7000
Chris Housley Offline

Hi Folks , i have been reading your comments on the Kn7000 / Tyros 3 . I have the Tyros 2 now , bought about 4 months ago as i wanted to play a yamaha for a long time as Technics went out of production,,, what a pity!! anyhow i would like to add that i find the Tyros 2 much more User friendly as many people have already stated than the KN7000 , has better 'Organ ' sounds and i like the Big band and Orchestral Sounds and Styles better especially as i play for Dancing regulary.. BUT i still use my trustworthy KN7000 at the moment and will not part with it.. I will wait for the Tyros 4 to come out before i buy again... but we all share ,play and listen to music differently so each to his own i suppose... Thanks..
Chris..

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online