SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#67400 - 07/29/08 05:17 AM Helo with Goldwave
Buddy Offline

Loc: London, UK
I need some help with Goldwave, please. I know that Bill Norrie, along with other forum members, has an extensive knowledge on this. I have had Goldwave installed on my pc. However, I'd like to know the procedure I need to follow to be able to transfer music from audio cassette to CD. I suppose the steps would be same for transferring from LP also to CD. Thanks all for your help.

Buddy

#67401 - 07/29/08 06:43 AM Re: Helo with Goldwave
casarosa Offline

Loc: Costa Calida Spain
Looking at Goldwaves help contents it states

GoldWave is a sound editor, player, recorder, analyzer, and converter. Use it to create sound files for music CDs, dance recitals, websites, answering machines, Windows sounds, and much more. It includes a complete set of effects and editing features for professional sound production. Create high quality audio CDs by using GoldWave in conjunction with CD Recorder software.
I have used dBpoweramp software to transfer my music from LPīs, Tape cassettes etc using phono leads connected directly to the computers sound card once on the PC then you can manipulated the sound,Volume levels,Clicks,etc,etc before burning them to CD

#67402 - 07/29/08 09:38 AM Re: Helo with Goldwave
Buddy Offline

I take the point you make casarosa about dBpoweramp software. However, I believe that it was mentioned long ago that Goldwave could be used to transfer music from audio cassette onto CDs with reasonably good quality result. I recall that Bill had made quite a number of suggestions and provided very valuable guidance on Goldwave, hence I request that he provides me with the steps to achieve that - if it is possible to achieve that using Goldwave.

Thanks though for your kind suggestion.

Buddy

#67403 - 07/29/08 04:26 PM Re: Helo with Goldwave
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
There is a tutorial on the Tech Tips page of my website : http://www.willumspages.co.uk/page10.html - Tip Number 14. This document describes the process for creating a CD from a keyboard, which only has Audio Outputs, rather than one with a Digital USB link - such as the KN7000.

Although the document refers to a keyboard as the Audio source, it applies in general, to most other audio sources, such as a Tape Recorder, Cassette recorder, TV Audio output etc. However, it is not possible to directly connect the Pick-Up output from a Record Turntable system, to a PC's sound card input, since this is at a very low level and requires amplification and equalisation, before applying to the Line Inputs of a PC's soundcard.

The way I achieve this, is to connect my turntable Pick-Up to my 'Hi-Fi' sound system (as normal) and then connect the 'Tape Record Outputs' to the Line Inputs of my PC Sound card. The 'Hi-Fi' system takes care of the required amplification and equalisation and produces a signal at the Recorder Outputs, compatible with the PC Line Inputs, for onward processing by Goldwave, or any other Digital Audio Editor.

There are other methods for producing a CD from LP records. Instead of using a Hi-Fi amplifier to condition the Pick-Up's signal, a dedicated Pre-Amplifier could be used between the Pick-Up and the PC soundcard. Example here : http://www.phonopreamps.com/tc400pp.html

An increasingly popular method for transferring LP to CD, is to use a USB turntable, such as the model shown here : http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-TTUSB or here : http://www.getinthemix.co.uk/Ion-ITT-USB--ITT-USB-Turntable.htm?gclid=CI2NlLGc 5pQCFQkYQgodb2LzQg These devices produce a Digital output and as such, should provide a better quality result.

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 07-29-2008).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#67404 - 07/30/08 04:33 AM Re: Helo with Goldwave
Buddy Offline

Thanks Bill for your helpful suggestions. I am grateful.

Buddy

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online