SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#66921 - 04/20/08 12:54 PM KN6000 Pads -> Midi - pls help!
Renee Offline

Hey there - I have a KN6000 and have composed some songs using the solos on the pads. Only problem is that I can't seem to get anything out over my MIDI cable other than the music I play.

Is there a way to get the arranger / pads to output over MIDI channels?

Any help appreciated as the manual is a bit rubbish!

- Renee

#66922 - 04/21/08 04:25 AM Re: KN6000 Pads -> Midi - pls help!
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Renee,

The performance pads on the KN6000 are not defined within the 'general' MIDI specification and are therefore not included within the normal MIDI output data stream.
Like some other functions on the KN6000, such as Panel Memory operations, they are unique to the particular instrument.
I don't have a copy of the KN6000 'Reference Guide' (Blue Book) but according to my KN7000 Blue Book, the Performance Pads are included within the 'NX Extension Area' and implemented within a 'System Exclusive Message'. However, this data stream would probably only be recognised by another Technics instrument, or an instrument capable of recognising and responding to NX format data.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#66923 - 04/24/08 01:22 AM Re: KN6000 Pads -> Midi - pls help!
Renee Offline

Thanks for your reply - one last question then... is it possible to output from the sequencer to MIDI? Not sure how to do that and the manual (which I do have) doesn't help at all.

- Renee

#66924 - 04/25/08 03:49 AM Re: KN6000 Pads -> Midi - pls help!
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Renee,
It depends on how you recorded your sequence.
If you have used the Auto play Chord (APC), then as far as I'm aware, there is no direct method of outputting the APC data to MIDI.
If you recorded your sequence using either a simple split keyboard or full pianist mode, then most of the data will be output from the sequencer and should operate an external MIDI device OK. I say 'Most' because certain 'KN specific' operations such as Panel Memory changes, Rhythm Group changes, Performance Pads, Transpose etc. although present in the MIDI data output stream, are in 'System Exclusive' format and will only be understood by a connected MIDI device, which is capable of interpreting these commands - for example - another KN6000!

There is a method of converting a KN6000 sequence to MIDI format - a bit long-winded - but mainly successful. After conversion, the resultant MIDI file will contain all the data from the APC 'Style' and will playback via MIDI to an external device. However, this process is restricted to converting the APC Style and will not include some of the 'KN Specific' operations, as mentioned above. Fortunately, in your case, the conversion process also includes conversion of the Performance Pads
You will find details of the conversion process described in your manual, within the Sequencer Section, under the heading 'APC to SMF Convert' on Page 100.
I tried a simple sequence conversion on my KN7000 and the resultant MIDI file played OK and included Performance Pads, Intro and Ending. It also played reasonably well on a PC, using Windows Media Player. However, Sound changes have to be made by pressing the appropriate buttons in the 'Sound Group'. Using the Panel Memory to effect sound changes does not work. After conversion to MIDI format, the unique Technics Sounds will be replaced by Sounds from the MIDI canvas, so you may get some unexpected sounds in the converted file!

Hope this helps

Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online