SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#66738 - 03/18/08 02:07 PM Recording Voice
Joe Baron Offline

Loc: England
Hello everybody.

I have recently tried to record voice and instrument using the KN 7000 I am very disappointed with the result and wish to improve with your advice!

I have recorded in the past using the KN 2000 with a good deal of success.
I have tried the same technique with the KN 7000 but not with the same success.

The technique used on the KN 2000 was the following. As you will probably know
the KN 2000 did not have a microphone socket. If I was to plug a microphone directly into the line in on the KN 2000 the microphone signal would be too weak on it’s own.

I used an elesis microverb unit I plugged the microphone into the unit and then the unit into the line in on the KN 2000 the elesis microverb was then being used as a preamp to put a stronger signal into the line in on the KN 2000. Using the volume control on the elesis microverbt this enabled me to correctly balance the instruments and vocal to my liking.
I then connected line out on the KN 2000 to my PC and played and sang to record.

I tried it this way on the KN 7000, that is, I plugged a microphone into the elesis microverb and then the elesis microverb into line in on the KN 7000, I then took line out on the KN 7000 to my PC, my PC only picked up the KN 7000 but not my voice.
I could of course hear my voice through the speakers on the KN7000,so I was surprised when the voice was not picked up.
This has really got me stumped so can any of you boffins point me in the right direction.

I can of course record my voice plugging the elesis microverb directly into the KN 7000 microphone input but I am not satisfied with the sound.

I have also tried using the KN 7000 microphone input on its own but cannot seem to get a correct balance between instrument and vocal, also I don’t like the result.
I would really welcome any advice from anyone in synthzone on this problem.

I have noticed that if I save the KN 7000 microphone settings on to a floppy disk,
when I load the saved floppy disk back onto the KN 7000 it retains the microphone setting.
With this in mind has anyone got a good setting for a microphone using the KN 7000
microphone input and would be willing to e-mail me the setting on a floppy, this would be a great help.

Kind regards
Joe.

#66739 - 03/18/08 04:55 PM Re: Recording Voice
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Joe,
What type of Mic are you using? Are you using any of the built-in KN7000 Mic Effects?
The best way to combine the Mic signal and the KN7000 sounds for recording to your PC, is to use the USB link - not the Line Out.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#66740 - 03/19/08 02:32 PM Re: Recording Voice
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Joe,

You're right, it is not that simple using the Mic with the KN7000 because there was such confusion with this when the keyboard first appeared on the market, Technote covered this in their Workshop in the Techplus magazine (in 3 parts I think). If you you have any back issues, it might be worth looking up. Meanwhile, I have some back issues so when I get a minute, I'll look through them. I'll keep you posted on this one.

Bill's suggestion is a very good one, using the USB facility is a great idea. I find I am using it more and more for just about everything these days, particularly my digital camera.

Audrey

#66741 - 03/20/08 05:07 AM Re: Recording Voice
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Hi Audrey - I have the 3 Technote articles to hand - I will send them to Joe direct....Joan

#66742 - 03/20/08 09:23 PM Re: Recording Voice
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Joan:
Hi Audrey - I have the 3 Technote articles to hand - I will send them to Joe direct....Joan

Hey Joan!

Any chance you can send copies of those three articles to ME, too? I would most appreciate it, if possible. You gals (and guys) on the SZ Forum site are just the greatest source of information. Bless you all and Happy Easter to you!

Ted Rose

#66743 - 03/21/08 12:09 AM Re: Recording Voice
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Joan,

Thanks for sending the info to Joe. I have actually located the back issues now and in case anyone else is interested, the details are as follows:-

Using the Microphone with KN7000 Keyboard is
featured in three parts in the Techplus Magazines:-

December 2003 (Pt.1)
Feb/March 2004 (Pt.2)
Apr/May 2004 (Pt.3).
On pages 42/43" in all issues.

Joan - are you receiving my emails? I've changed server but haven't heard from you. I'm sure I notified you of the change. Would you confirm you have my new email address please - thanks!

Audrey

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 03-21-2008).]

#66744 - 03/21/08 05:36 AM Re: Recording Voice
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Hi Ted - check your mail box.

Audrey - Yes I have your new email - I know I owe you a reply - there not enough hours in the day these days. Must do better!!!!! Joan

#66745 - 03/21/08 07:03 AM Re: Recording Voice
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
JOAN..... If it is not too late to request, I too will appreciate having those Technote pages others have requested here.
Thanks from ELIZABETH

#66746 - 03/21/08 02:19 PM Re: Recording Voice
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I need that and all the help I can get.
I'm confused with this operating system.

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Map

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#66747 - 03/21/08 04:25 PM Re: Recording Voice
Mike Aviv Offline

Joan,
I would also very much appreciate, if you could send me a copy of the three articles.

Thanks, Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online