SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#66724 - 03/14/08 10:04 AM OPEN LETTER TO THE FORUM FROM SCOTT
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi everyone -

I have had little time to be at the keyboard the last few days. Last night, I decided to do a few tests the way Bob and others have suggested. It is the answer. I appreciate very much the several responses to my problem. The one thing that bothers me and this is not to upset anyone but had you given a full example, it would have been so much easier. My mentioning that it frustrated me to have to always be aware of the Intro and Sequencer button being on when playing live, no one said how to resolve this OTHER THAN stating when you save your setup for playing live to include saving Sequencer with nothing in it. No one gave the reason that this would RESOLVE THE PROBLEM. It does, of course. Quite frankly, I don’t see how and here is why: Saving Sequencer along with your other settings seems to me to activate the Sequencer by at least turning it on because even though you have not put anything in the sequencer, you have saved the setting. To me, it seems like it would activate the button by turning it on. It doesn’t, of course. Many of you are well informed on using the KN7000 to its fullest. You have also had your KN7000 much longer than I have had mine. I don’t have a great deal of time to be at the keyboard. I am a stickler for detail. I have said often that I am a perfectionist living in an imperfect world. Had I been one of you, I would have given someone a FULL EXAMPLE however elementary it seemed to you. My example on this issue would have been something like this:

Start with making sure all your panel memories are set the way you want them to play live. Before saving these settings to the DEFAULT settings, make sure you have NO SONG IN THE SEQUENCER. Saving Sequencer in this way will NEGATE the Sequencer button coming on, as well as an Intro because you have no song saved in your live playing file. This is important because after playing a sequenced song, loading this file you have saved for playing live will TOTALLY NEGATE any previous sequenced song, as well as the Sequencer button and Intro being in play. The default settings will save everything you currently have setup for live playing. Saving your file for live playing in this way will save you the embarrassment of forgetting to turn off the Sequencer and Intro buttons after playing a sequenced song.

The above might be slight overkill but it clearly tells the person who does not fully understand WHY this is done. You all assume too much. You know how to do these things and you cut to the chase and think someone automatically knows what you mean and suggest. By giving a full example will resolve the issue quicker than just stating to do something. Rog said and I quote: “p.s. with regard to all the rest we are talking 2 totally different ways of using the operating system of the KN7000 and realistically they are so far apart that only by standing next to one another each with our own keyboards could each of us comprehend fully what the other is proposing...” He is right.

Bob, it doesn’t mean a hill of beans where I had the file of the 14 songs. They were in a typical file (Number one, in this case) and played by selecting SD SONG MEDLEY. There is one possibility that when I did a set in CUSTOM PANEL, I was in PANEL MEMORY A with a sequenced song in it. I rather doubt this because I think I brought up BANK 1 of PANEL MEMORY before doing this set. Regardless, what you stated about changing the Panel Memory later would have negated anything set in CUSTOM PANEL. It didn’t and it is now water under the bridge, so to speak. I don’t know how this took place but I have made the changes and corrected the problem.

In closing, I do want to make it clear that I appreciate everyone of your replies. You truly are on the forum to help others and a great group. I agree with Audrey, it truly is a great forum. Just remember, don’t assume too much when giving your valued knowledge on an issue. If the issue is somewhat complex, give a full detailed example. It will solve a lot of back and forth comments.

Scott

#66725 - 03/14/08 10:12 AM Re: OPEN LETTER TO THE FORUM FROM SCOTT
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hi Scott - good on yer...
I just hope that this doesn't mean you've got to start from scratch resetting everything up on your KN7000/SD Card but I suspect that it probably does...good luck cos it'll be worth it in the end.
Rog

#66726 - 03/14/08 04:19 PM Re: OPEN LETTER TO THE FORUM FROM SCOTT
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Scott, my first impression when I read the above was total amazement. It then degenerated to being offended and then to just plain old anger.

I have no idea how many hours I spent sending emails to you saying basically the same thing. Each time the response was “But I don’t want to do it that way”. There was never any attempt on your part to even try what was being suggested. Then the subject came up on the forum again. Again, you made no effort to help yourself saying, “I don’t want to do that” until some of us persisted in trying to drag you out of the quagmire of stupidity you were in. Finally after weeks of persistence you finally decided to try what was being advised. Within a single evening, and I suspect within an hour, you came to the realization that what you were being told was the right thing to do. You obviously had all the information you needed to solve the problem.

Instead of a simple note of gratitude you have shown the unmitigated gall to scold the very people that spent hours of their time to try to help you, because they didn’t teach you in a manner that met with your approval.

This is not the sort of behavior that would entice any of us to want to help you again.

Oops, I forgot to add that it was not the blank sequencer file that solved the Intro problem. It was the fact that the Current Panel file was saved and then loaded that
fixed the Intro problem.

[This message has been edited by Bob Hendershot (edited 03-14-2008).]

#66727 - 03/14/08 04:26 PM Re: OPEN LETTER TO THE FORUM FROM SCOTT
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Why does this post remind me of the lady who sued McDonalds after burning herself with their hot coffee, she said it was their fault because they made to the coffee too hot???????

John C.

#66728 - 03/14/08 05:27 PM Re: OPEN LETTER TO THE FORUM FROM SCOTT
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I have to admit to a feeling of dismay on reading your post but then three thoughts came to mind:-

1) Personally, I found the problem raised, a bit confusing to say the least, so perhaps you could explain your queries a little more clearly in the future.

2) All the information you need is in the User's Manual - instead of spending your time on the net, couldn't you have used this more wisely by studying it to find the answer to your problem?

3) If you find the Manual confusing, Bill Norrie has a "Tech Tips Page" on his website covering the many facilities on the Technics Keyboard and how to use them. It is written very clearly in plain English.

To access this information go to:-
www.willumspages.co.uk

Click on "Tech Tips"

Scroll down and click on the number:-

13 - "Adding Intros and Endings to existing
KN Sequencer".

22 - "Using the KN7000 Sequencer".

Audrey

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online