SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#53858 - 12/07/06 07:10 AM Sick KN7000
Joe Baron Offline

Loc: England
Hi folks.
I have found out the problem on the KN7000 which only produces sound from the right channel. The engineer who is effecting the repair cannot get the two components he requires, they are he says fuse protectors on the circuit board (2 off) he gave me the part number. FP501-2000. I have telephoned a company who deal in Technics and other keyboards parts. The FP501-2000 is the manufacturer’s part number. Technics part number is K5G202AA0003.

What really gets right up my nose is, the KN7000 has been in the repair shop for four weeks, and they could not locate the part,and the firm is quite a large one in the north west!! when I complained they asked “ME” to try to find the part. It took one phone call to find, and it will be in the post tomorrow. The firm I ordered from were very helpful and it was they who told me the FP501-2000 was not the right part to order and took trouble to find the correct Technics part number.
The firm is bill@wdgreenhill.com Tel/Fax 91702 546195. I strongly recommend this firm to anyone who needs a KN7000 or other keyboard part.
I am now waiting for the KN7000 to be brought back. In the meantime I have bought another KN2000.
Still a brilliant machine!!!!!.
Regards.
Joe

#53859 - 12/07/06 08:41 AM Re: Sick KN7000
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hey Joe - that's a brilliant contact - well done - I wonder if Bill Norrie would like to add it to his super list on his web site.
Rog

#53860 - 12/07/06 01:45 PM Re: Sick KN7000
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Thank you for that piece of valuable information Joe. You did right to put it out on this Forum. A Company who gives excellent service like that, in my opinion, should be recognised and where better than on the net.

If I receive excellent service from a Company I always let them know how pleased I am. After all, we all quickly shout about bad service don't we.

I've taken note of their details and will put it in our Keyboard Club Library for all to see.

Audrey

#53861 - 12/07/06 03:35 PM Re: Sick KN7000
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Great Find Joe I'll add it to my Links page Rog, when I next update................

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#53862 - 12/07/06 06:26 PM Re: Sick KN7000
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Joe,
Some years ago I had the same thing happen to my KN2000 from a power line surge. During a gig some one started throwing breakers on and off in the building fuse panel because a coffee pot wasn't working and the surge blew the keyboard.
The problem was a couple of open fuse resistors - same as your problem. I didn't have the exact parts so replaced them with 1/8 watt 2.2 ohm regular film resistors. It's been working good ever since.
The real problem was trouble shooting and finding the bad parts.
The KN7000 has a fuse resistor in the ground lead of each speaker and several in the power leads that feed the power amplifiers.
It will be interesting to find out if they blew just because of too much volume or if there is something going bad in one of the amplifiers that made it draw too much current.
Let us know.
Walt

#53863 - 12/08/06 06:48 AM Re: Sick KN7000
Joe Baron Offline

Loc: England
Hi Folks.
I tried to find out the possible cause of the fuse protectors on the circuit board failing, but I could not speak to the engineer, only spoke to the sales person who was of no help.
I have all my electronics in my home protected by anti serge strips, so can we say that a power surge is the unlikely cause but not impossible. I do have a friend who like Bill Norrie was a design engineer and has a great knowledge of electronics. He will tell me of the possible cause. I did mention to my friend the problem I had with the KN7000 and his reaction was without the circuit to refer to, possibly the fuse protectors or could be a transistor, he thinks the transistors instead of being individual would probably be a module due to the fact the KN7000 is pretty modern. He more or less dismissed the regulator (mains transformer) he would think that would make the KN7000 dead altogether. He did express surprise that the engineer did not carry such a simple part as part in his stock, he also said any Radio Shack would have sold them 10 for a £. Here is his reply to an email.
HI Joe,
You know my way of working and the first move is to check the basics, is there any power to the amp? This would have been picked up in seconds so should have been quickly found by someone used to working with amps. I would have thought a fusible device would have been a common spare part to keep in a toolkit; I used to carry these around.
Regards,
Don.
Maybe Bill will comment, or anyone else.
I know amplifiers pretty and feel sure I would have sorted the problem. But circumstances were against me,
Regards.
Joe.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online