SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#40002 - 12/01/06 02:41 PM Cut common time counting
tonykn7000 Offline

Loc: Colchester , Essex , UK
Hi all

I have now retired so have much more time to play and get to know more about the wonderful KN700.
I getting on well with reading the music and with lots of practice, practice,practice can play some tunes reasonably well and have at last mastered 16th notes, something I gave up on many times in the past. Can anyone please advise on counting when playing cut common time. An example would be say Jingle Bells with the notes written in 4/4 but Cut common time with tempo of half note = 96 bpm. I think I am correct in setting the tempo @ 96 cutting the notes in half so that half note becomes quarter note and the quarter note an eighth notes etc. So you end up playing the notes twice as fast.
But my question do I still count as if 4/4 but two bars will equal 1 bar in cut common.
Meaning do I still count 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 in the four beats on KN metronome or do I count
1&2& 1&2& in the four beats of metronome so in first two bars of jingle bells it would be eighth eighth quarter eighth eighth quarter in the 4 beats on metronome. It seems ok in 8 beat to play 1&2& but in straight 4 beats it seems harder to count in the latter.
I would like your advice so when this comes up in faster music which is best method.
Hoping I have explained myself correctly as I would hate to spend hours of practice using the incorrect counting.

Best regards to all

Tony Looker
Essex UK

#40003 - 12/01/06 05:37 PM Re: Cut common time counting
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Tony, the important thing to remember is that all the notes have half their normal value, and that the song is felt in a 2 beat tempo accent on the second beat. In 4/4 time the accent would be on the 2nd and 4th beat.

Yes, the keyboard beats two times in each measure. Normally, because of the speed and beat/accent feel it is easier to count 12 12 then 1234.

In learning a song I have always counted 1234. After I have learned the song counting was not necessary and my concentration was on 12 12 with the accent on 2.

As far as the keyboard goes, one beat equals two written quarter notes.
You have the same problem in 6/8 timing. Do I count 123456 or 1 2, 3 eith notes equal one beat.

Again it is the feel of the rhythm. Fast 1 2 Slow 123456. Slow is typical of a waltz written in ¾ time. Fast 123456 with the accent on 1 and 4 you begin the get a triplet feel 123 456 123 456 with accents on 1 and 4 – Tarantella – Irish Jig are examples.

Hope this helps, John C.

PS, I had been playing professionally for a few years before I understood cut time, I just treated it as a fast 1234 1234 but I did understand the feel of cut time.

#40004 - 12/02/06 02:30 AM Re: Cut common time counting
tonykn7000 Offline

Loc: Colchester , Essex , UK
Hi Bruno

Many thanks for your prompt reply.
This was how I thought it should be done but
not being 100% sure I had doubts in my mind and didn't want to spend hours playing the wrong way. So would I be correct to learn a new tune as normal 1234 but but once learnt I can count 12 = 1, 34 =2 so I hit first note twice but count 1. Nice to know someone else had the same problem makes it easier to ask for advice from others without feeling foolish.

Very many thanks

Tony
Essex UK

------------------
Tony KN7000

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online