SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#59002 - 05/24/06 08:48 AM Can Technics KBs play Guitar slide sounds without using pitch bend wheel or pedal?
hammondkua Offline

If you have seen Michel Voncken or Peter Baartmans's videos on demonstrating those Yamaha keyboards and CVP you would have liked the Concert Guitar or Acoustic Guitar sounds especially when they pressed very hard on a key to produce a so called guitar slide or glide sounds. So can this be achieved in Technics Keyboards without using the pitch bend wheel or pedal? Oh Yes! You Can! All you need to do is confirming the following features and performing some tweaking in your Sound Edit.

Check your ¡®Sound Edit¡¯ whether you have the following features:
1. TONE - Tone Dynamics
2. PITCH ¨C Pitch Envelope
Of cause there are other features too but I think the above are the most important. I¡¯m sure KN2400, KN2600, KN7000 and PR54 have the above mention features but not sure about the rest of the models.

The example below is based on KN7000. Now follow these steps to create a guitar slide sound:
1. Select your favorite guitar sound: BrilliantFolkGuitar for example.
2. Press PROGRAMMENUS / SOUNDEDIT / TONE.
3. Turn on the 2nd tone and change the parameters in all the pages exactly the same as the 1st tone.(This also apply to AMPLITUDE, FILTER and LOF)
4. Go to TONE page again and use the PAGE button to go to page 4/4 the TONE DYNAMIC page. In the 1st tone, set the VELOCITY to 0 - 110. You can alter to suite your liking, range from 0 to 127. In this case means when the velocity reached 110 the sound started to bend. The higher the value the harder the pressure you will need to apply to produce the bending sound when pressing a key.
5. The moment you change the value in the VELOCITY, the remaining values will appear in the second line (it is not the 2nd tone) in this case 111 ¨C 127, so set the LEV to -100 (negative) as we do not whant to hear any sound that goes beyond 110 in the 1st tone.
6. Now activate the 2nd Tone and change the VELOCITY exactly the same as the 1st tone but set the LEV to -100 in the first line instead of the second line. This means no sound is produced from 0 to 110 in the 2nd tone. Just remember it¡¯s the opposite way to the 1st tone.
7. Until now if you try to play some notes on your keyboard you actually do not hear any changes in the pitch so to actually bending the sound let us go to the PITCH menu.
8. In the PITCH menu, go to PITCH ENVELOPE in page 2/3. Set the values of the 2nd tone as below:
a. START PITCH = 0
b. ATTACK = 80
c. PEAK = 3
d. DECAY1 = 48
e. SUSTAIN1 = 15
f. DECAY2 = 48
g. SUSTAIN2 = 15
h. RELEASE = 30
i. STOP PITCH = 15
j. TOTAL DEPTH = 50
You don¡¯t really need to follow the setting exactly I did, try to change the values and experiment the result. Compare the edited sound with the pitch bend wheel to get the effect you want. It¡¯s amazing
9. Now try to play some tunes from soft to hard you will notice without using the wheel when pressing hard the ¡®Guitar Slides'! Cool!
10. Finally don¡¯t forget to save your sound to your disk.

Well! That all I know. Hopefully you will like your newly created sound. Enjoy!

Sorry for my poor grammars.
Regards,
Hammond

#59003 - 05/24/06 09:40 AM Re: Can Technics KBs play Guitar slide sounds without using pitch bend wheel or pedal?
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi Hammond,

Thanks, very much for your post. I have copied and saved your instructions and am anxious to try this out. How did you figure this out? It just goes to show the incredible things that can be done in the KN7000.

Thanks, again -

Scott

#59004 - 05/24/06 10:34 AM Re: Can Technics KBs play Guitar slide sounds without using pitch bend wheel or pedal?
technicsplayer Offline

actually to put these 'advances' in perspective you could have done the same velocity layer and pitch envelope edit on the Technics KN3000 in 1995

#59005 - 05/25/06 06:50 AM Re: Can Technics KBs play Guitar slide sounds without using pitch bend wheel or pedal?
hammondkua Offline

Hi Scott
With respect to my previous post it is much simpler to perform the method in step 3 with the following method:
When you are in the first TONE page, PRESS TONE COPY and copy FROM: 1st tone TO: 2nd Tone with OPTION:All. Press OK to exit. This will change the parameters in other sound menus too. Enjoy.

Regards,
Hammond

#59006 - 05/26/06 03:07 AM Re: Can Technics KBs play Guitar slide sounds without using pitch bend wheel or pedal?
Sandgroper Offline

Loc: Busselton, Western Australia
Hi Hammond
What a great idea.
I haven't tried it yet, as from past experience I will need time to sort this out successfully,but I have copied your instructions out and put it in my "tweaks to try " file for when I have more time.
Thanks again for the idea.
Regards
Eddie

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online