SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#60720 - 10/22/05 08:10 AM Active Power Speakers
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi
Anyone any knowledge/experience of the following active speakers used with KN keyboards

Mackie SRM350
JBL Eon 10 G2
or similar specification.

#60721 - 10/22/05 11:05 AM Re: Active Power Speakers
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi John
I haven't had experience with these , but if you are looking for hi-end speakers, you owe it to yourself to get the best. I am sure happy I did.
http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=l1_single_live_music&ck=0

#60722 - 10/22/05 01:13 PM Re: Active Power Speakers
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Hi there.
I use the Mackie SRM450's with my SD1 and Roland G1000 which i run through a Yamaha Promix mixing desk. The speakers are crystal clear for keyboards and vocals.

#60723 - 10/22/05 04:39 PM Re: Active Power Speakers
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Hi John,
I’ve been using the JBL Eon 15’s with my Technics keyboards for about seven years. They have proven to be bullet proof. They weigh 40 lbs. each, and along with the 7K and a mixer it is just like getting a workout at the gym. However the sound is beautiful. I’m fond of strings and woodwinds. They are as smooth as silk, without the harsh character that many sound reinforcement speakers have. JBL has always had a reputation for a rich but undistorted mid range and it is still true of the Eon’s. The bottom end is strong but not boomy. My pal Scott Yee gave them the golden ear test recently and seemed to be impressed with the speakers and the capability of the KN7000.
Frank

#60724 - 10/23/05 04:19 AM Re: Active Power Speakers
K1 & K2 Offline

Loc: Rockhampton, Queensland, Austr...
Hello John,
I haven't used active speakers, but have been using YAMAHA CLUB Speakers (15+Horn)running out of a YAMAHA EMX 5000 powered mixer for a number of years & i'm quite happy with the sound. We're putting a KN7 + KN5 + 2 mics.through this system & there is ample volume even for large venues.

As our audiences (Dancers) are mostly of a more mature age, I feel that it is very important to have a warm & clean sound without the harshness that some types of music demand.

At the present time the YAMAHA's fit the bill nicely. We have tried out both timber & plastic boxes from both JBL & YAMAHA but haven't found anything more suitable as yet. There is not a lot of choice of different brands of speakers available in our area & i would hesitate to buy something without first trying it with our set-up.

While our system works for us, I'm always on the lookout for something better. I have noticed that on the GENERAL ARRANGER FORUM that there is a wide variety of speakers (active & passive) being used by keyboard players but not much mention of YAMAHA products. I've often wondered why.

While I still favour the powered mixer / non powered timber speakers set-up for sound quality, there are probably many good active speakers available.

Hope this helps.

Yours in Music
Alan

#60725 - 10/23/05 05:37 PM Re: Active Power Speakers
Sandgroper Offline

Loc: Busselton, Western Australia
Hi there John
We have been using the JBL Eon G2 15s (in stereo config) for about 18 months now with a mixer & also a Alto powered wedge (elvis 12MA) as a monitor. We use 2 Mics one for vocals & one for sax amp where neccessary. This gives us all the power & clarity we need for larger venues and for small venues we just reduce the speakers to 2 or even 1. We do mainly the older age group dance gigs, but they are very fussy about the sound they want. All the best in your search.
Regards to all
Eddie

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online