SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#50930 - 07/25/05 07:41 AM Bug in the Panasonic USB MIDI driver
MarkW Offline

I've come across a very annoying problem that seems to be caused by this driver. The driver works fine when the KN7000 is connected to the computer, but causes other MIDI applications to fail when the KN7000 is not connected. You get an error on start-up of more than 50% of the MIDI apps that I've tried about an invalid parameter being passed to a system function. Some applications just exit at this stage, and others continue.

If I uninstall the Panasonic drivers, the problem goes away, but then I can't connect my KN7000. Reinstalling the drivers following the procedure in the supplied installation guide brings back the problem.

I am a developer and as such have been able to investigate the problem a little. What seems to happen is that the Panasonic USB MIDI driver is included in the count of available MIDI ports, even when the KN7000 is not connected (I always make sure to click the Remove Safely icon before disconnecting). Then, most applications will then make a system call to find out details about the available MIDI ports. The error occurs when an application tries to find out the device capabilities (DevCaps) for the Panasonic MIDI port. This call fails, presumably because the device is not present.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and better still, does anyone have any idea how to work around it?

This is a real pain!

Thanks in advance for any help forum members may be able to offer.

Mark.

P.S. This is on Windows XP Pro with all the latest updates.

[This message has been edited by MarkW (edited 07-25-2005).]

#50931 - 07/25/05 11:11 AM Re: Bug in the Panasonic USB MIDI driver
shcox Offline

Loc: Leesburg, FL USA
Hi Mark,
I can not say I've have this problem with my PR54 but I might suggest that once you install the Technics MIDI driver you check the Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel. On the Audio Tab check the MIDI Music Device Playback setting. Most MIDI programs will use this setting as the default to play Midi. If this is still set to the Technics driver once you unplug the KN7000 you will get an error since the device is not ready.

Programs like Band-in-a-Box and Power Tracks do not use this setting since you set the Midi device in the program.

I hope this is a place for you to begin trouble shooting.

------------------
Heather- Leesburg, FL PR54

#50932 - 07/25/05 03:06 PM Re: Bug in the Panasonic USB MIDI driver
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I know absolutely nothing about the workings of a PC but I vaguely recall when the young man was setting it up my KN7000 he mentioned that if ever I should need to re-install the software to make sure I put the supplied floppy in first as this contained a 'remedial patch' for something or other - could this be your problem?

Just a thought!

Aud (U.K.)

#50933 - 07/26/05 01:10 AM Re: Bug in the Panasonic USB MIDI driver
MarkW Offline

Thanks to you both, Heather and Audrey, for your suggestions.

Heather, in the control panel, when I look at the MIDI Musical Device Playback settings, I find that the Panasonic USB MIDI has completely disappeared from the list of options when the KN7000 is not connected. This is, of course, what you would expect. The problem is that somehow the ghost of the driver lives on, despite this. I do know that the problem is not a result of applications thinking they are still connected to the KN7000 because I get the error with software that has never been used with the KN7000, even on the first time after installing the software.

Audrey, I don't have a floppy with any patches on it. I just have the CD that came with the KN7000. I wonder if anyone else know anything about any patches or updated drivers available for the KN7000?

The plot thickens!

I do hope I can find an answer to this.

Mark.

#50934 - 07/26/05 03:03 AM Re: Bug in the Panasonic USB MIDI driver
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi Mark,

I have experienced exactly the same problem with a MIDI application program (Miditzer Virtual Theatre organ) but have not delved into the cause of it as my KN is normally connected to the computer and I just ensure that the KN is switched on. I hadn't really considered that the KN driver setup may be the cause.

Cheers
Len C.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online