SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#44173 - 05/11/05 04:21 PM Hinged KN7000
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Folks.
I finally got myself a KN7000!!!
You have all been saying for years "what a good instrument it is" I have not been able to spend much time on it just now, but I am very impressed with the instrument.
I will pose a question, my friend who is not a player, but nevertheless a great engineer, with an international reputation, He noticed the action on the KN7000 when the hinged cover was operated, he expressed a concern, It was, would opening and closing the KN7000 be similar to opening a laptop computer, if so would
The ribbon connector become stressed and eventually fail? He would have known of course if the circuit was available to him, the next best scenario he said, would ask on the forum if this was the case.
I would be pleased if someone could belay the possibility of such an occasion happening.
I will take this opportunity to thank all the kind support I have received from many people I have never met,
but I am pleased to call friends.
Sincerely.
Joe.

#44174 - 05/11/05 09:42 PM Re: Hinged KN7000
dpeisic Offline

Loc: San Deigo, Ca, USA
Hi Phil,

That was exactly my concern when I want to buy the kn7000. I spoke prior to my purchase with the Technics technical support (Adi) and he told me as of Octobr, 2004 that there have not been any reports about the cover including the surrounding plastic cover and the cover cable connector.

Congratulations on your new kn7000 and enjoy it at its full capability.

Doron

#44175 - 05/11/05 11:06 PM Re: Hinged KN7000
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi Joe,

Yes I believe the KN7000 does have ribbon cable connections between the hinged panel and the main body. I certainly haven't had any problems in this regard. I dont open and close it frequently in any case. It mostly stays open unless I am taking it out to play away. Similarly I haven't had any problems of this type with laptops either and I have used quite a number of them both at home and at work over the last 15 years. Most mechanical faults I have encountered in laptops have either been hard drive failures or screen damage (common if someone has left a pen on the keyboard before closing the lid). In any case ribbon cable repairs are generally fairly simple even if one has to improvise. If replacement parts should become unavailable, a possible LCD failure is of far greater concern. We depend on the screen to access almost every aspect of the KN7000.

Cheers
Len C.

#44176 - 05/12/05 07:23 AM Re: Hinged KN7000
dpeisic Offline

Loc: San Deigo, Ca, USA
So, Is it highly recommended to leave the hinged panel open after powering off, in a home setting?

Can kn7000 stay on after closing the hinged cover, while keeping the on/off button on?

Thanks,
Doron

#44177 - 05/12/05 12:42 PM Re: Hinged KN7000
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi Joe
Congratulations on your new 7000. I think everyone probably had the same thoughts when they first bought the KN7000.
In 4 months time mine will be 3 years old. The lid has had more action than a fiddler's elbow and it's still as firm as day one.
John
PS keep those emails coming.........

#44178 - 05/13/05 07:09 AM Re: Hinged KN7000
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I don't think ribbon cables are used to connect the hinged part to the main body If you look very carefully in the small gaps, between the hinged panel of the KN7000 and the chromium plated parts of the central fixed beam (near the Power Switch and SD Card receptacle), you will see a bunch of insulated wires. These are obviously the connections between the panel and the main body electronics.You can probably see them best, when the panel is closed. Using this method of connection means that the cables are not really subjected to any great amount of strain since the bunch of wires is just allowed to freely rotate on their axis, through about 120 degrees. Two of my laptops use a similar principle as did a Yamaha PSR6100 which I owned many years ago.
Although there are around 140 Buttons and other controls on the hinged panel, this does not mean that there will be connecting wires from every control, to the main electronics in the KN7000 body. The controls will most probably be multiplexed within the hinged panel and fed as a data stream, down a limited number of wires, to the electronics in the main body of the instrument.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online