SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#43582 - 11/01/04 09:01 PM I'm so excited, but I need your help!!!!
lrngkybrd Offline

Loc: Queen Creek, Arizona
Okay. I played a midi song on my KN6500. I really like the background so I have been racking my brain trying to copy it from the sequencer to composer. I listened to each part and copied down the correct measures. I copied each part individually and when I saved it and pressed start it sounded fantastic!!! I didn't encounter a problem until I started to play. It seems like it is not acknowledging my cords in the accompaniment. What do I need to do to make this work?

#43583 - 11/02/04 04:39 AM Re: I'm so excited, but I need your help!!!!
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
The principale of the composer is that it must be in the chord of C.
So you have to transpose the sequence and/or the measures to C.
rgds.
Willem

#43584 - 11/02/04 06:09 PM Re: I'm so excited, but I need your help!!!!
lrngkybrd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by waterschip:
The principale of the composer is that it must be in the chord of C.
So you have to transpose the sequence and/or the measures to C.
rgds.
Willem

How do I transpose what's in the composer to C?
It seems to me I remember reading somewhere about deleting a "control" something or other from a midi file. Is this something I need to look at?

#43585 - 11/03/04 12:44 AM Re: I'm so excited, but I need your help!!!!
Lindoz Offline

Loc: Torshalla, Sweden
Hi
When you copy measures from a midisong, there is two small problems.
1. The measures maybe has different chords while the composer need only one chord in every measure.

2. The midisong itself maybe has a tune which not correspond to the tune you whish in the composer.

In other words, you have to transpose the copied measures. I´ts not so easy for me to explaine all about chords and harmonies in a few words. So if you mail me your song, and let me know the number of the measures you want copied, it´s much more easy to explain. Else any who has better english language than me, had to take this.

Regards Lindoz

#43586 - 11/03/04 04:19 AM Re: I'm so excited, but I need your help!!!!
lrngkybrd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lindoz:
Hi
When you copy measures from a midisong, there is two small problems.
1. The measures maybe has different chords while the composer need only one chord in every measure.

2. The midisong itself maybe has a tune which not correspond to the tune you whish in the composer.

In other words, you have to transpose the copied measures. I´ts not so easy for me to explaine all about chords and harmonies in a few words. So if you mail me your song, and let me know the number of the measures you want copied, it´s much more easy to explain. Else any who has better english language than me, had to take this.

Regards Lindoz

Thank you for your response. I will send it to you.

#43587 - 11/09/04 08:47 AM Re: I'm so excited, but I need your help!!!!
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Save the file as a Technics file. Reload it into the sequencer then delete the song file in the sequencer. The style (background) will be in memory A and you can save it as a solo style or add to it.

#43588 - 11/09/04 04:59 PM Re: I'm so excited, but I need your help!!!!
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Okay Irngkybrd,
A friend in New Zealand just inquired about this proceedure, so I'm passing on the same information to you.

LOAD MIDI File
Use GM to NX
From the sequencer page turn on the mixer.
Note the tracks you want to copy

In The Program Menus
PRESS Composer
PRESS Sequencer to Composer Copy
SELECT Measures to Copy
Transpose to the Key of C
SELECT Composer Memory and Variation
PRESS OK

Okay, here is the art part. I find that the best MIDI files come from Japan. Because of the copyright crack down, free MIDI files, especially in the U.S. are very poorly written. When you start out it’s best to look for songs that are in a Major key. As you get into it you will find Minor key Intros and Endings can be useful. Given a piece of music you like, try to find at least one measure in the song that doesn’t change chords. This usually happens at the end of a phrase. Note the number of that measure or measures. Now determine what key the song is being played in and count how many half steps it will take to put it into the Key of C.

You will remember that everything in the Composer is in the Key of C and thus will translate into the chord you play in your left hand. Once this 1 or 2 measure pattern is in the Composer you can extend it into a four measure pattern. At times I like to go for 8 measures because it gives you the opportunity to introduce a counter melody which can start at the third measure and sound more like a live arrangement rather than a very mechanical pattern. Counter melodies have to be based on the Key of C, however notes not in the C chord can be used but just briefly.

Depending upon how much info you can get from the MIDI file, you can put together different variations by taking other areas from the MIDI source or just repeat the one variation you have and add different additions to each variation. Most song have some natural fills and all you have to do is look for those without chord changes. I’m afraid this sound more complex than it is. Once you are into it, it’s fun.

Frank

#43589 - 11/10/04 02:28 AM Re: I'm so excited, but I need your help!!!!
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Quote:
Okay, here is the art part. I find that the best MIDI files come from Japan.
Frank[/B]

Hi Frank,

Do you have some weblinks to those Japanes sites.
rgds.
Willem

#43590 - 11/10/04 04:32 AM Re: I'm so excited, but I need your help!!!!
lrngkybrd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bud Whipple:
Save the file as a Technics file. Reload it into the sequencer then delete the song file in the sequencer. The style (background) will be in memory A and you can save it as a solo style or add to it.

I will try this. Thank you. I'll let you know.

#43591 - 11/10/04 11:00 AM Re: I'm so excited, but I need your help!!!!
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Well Willem,

It all depends on what you are looking for. I find using the advanced mode of Google the most beneficial. Enter the style of MIDI file you are looking for and add the one word that must appear “free”. Then select the country. While I suggested Japan, I’ve found excellent files in Italy, France, Russia and a number Spanish speaking countries.

Here is a well played site with original compositions mainly for the piano in Japan:
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Broadway/5854/midistaj.html

And, here is a good jazz site in the U.S.:
http://www.alisdair.com/jazzpages/jazzmidilinks.html

Happy hunting,
Frank

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online