SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#52302 - 08/24/04 06:46 AM KN7000 Keyboard Split
D.Munson Offline

Loc: UK
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to split the keyboard in such a way so as to have the rhythms & accomp in the lower section ie:C1 - F#2 sound 1 G2 - C4 sound 2 D4 - right of keyboard.

I used to be able to do this on my Solton MS 60.

Derek Munson

#52303 - 08/24/04 07:21 AM Re: KN7000 Keyboard Split
MarkW Offline

Hi Derek,

Quote:
Originally posted by D.Munson:
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to split the keyboard in such a way so as to have the rhythms & accomp in the lower section ie:C1 - F#2 sound 1 G2 - C4 sound 2 D4 - right of keyboard.

Maybe someone else knows a better way, but one way to do this is via Sound Edit. You create a new sound, and using the Key Layer you set it so that the new sound consists of 2 sounds, one which applies from a certain key and above, and the other sound which applies below the chosen key. This way you create a sound that has a built in split point.

This is how I used get a second split point the KN3000, but I don't know if there's an easier way since I upgraded to the KN7000.

This technique is much more time consuming than if you simply could have multiple split points like you do on other instruments, but at least you can achieve the same effect with a little forward planning.

Cheers,
Mark.

#52304 - 08/24/04 04:33 PM Re: KN7000 Keyboard Split
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Gee, never thought of trying dual split points. I don't have my keyboard handy right now, but if you set your split point and use PM1 in expand mode, then reset the split point with PM2, etc., maybe it will work. I use the expand mode with the foot switch to do most everything, so why not give it a try. Course, there is probably a faster, easier way, and if there is, someone on this forum will know it. Blessings

#52305 - 08/24/04 05:16 PM Re: KN7000 Keyboard Split
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi Derek,

Yes I basically use the same approach as Mark to obtain multiple splits. For simple sounds (1 voice only) you can then obtain up to 4 segments for each of the Right 1 and Right 2 parts. Alternatively if you use a second MIDI keyboard as a master you can assign the same MIDI Channel to several parts and by editing the range over which each part plays obtain multiple splits with complex sounds.

Cheers
Len C.

#52306 - 08/25/04 04:45 AM Re: KN7000 Keyboard Split
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
I'm at work now but I know there are one or two factory examples. Lower drum, middle section an instrument and upper section an instrument.
gr.
Willem

#52307 - 08/26/04 07:48 PM Re: KN7000 Keyboard Split
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Derek,

Mark's suggestion is the way I have used to achieve two split points, but as he points out it is quite time consuming. I used this approach for 'Get me to the church on time' from My Fair Lady, where I set up approx the top octave of the keyboard with a church bell sound.

Regards,
Mike

#52308 - 08/27/04 08:19 AM Re: KN7000 Keyboard Split
D.Munson Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkW:
Hi Derek,

Maybe someone else knows a better way, but one way to do this is via Sound Edit. You create a new sound, and using the Key Layer you set it so that the new sound consists of 2 sounds, one which applies from a certain key and above, and the other sound which applies below the chosen key. This way you create a sound that has a built in split point.

This is how I used get a second split point the KN3000, but I don't know if there's an easier way since I upgraded to the KN7000.

This technique is much more time consuming than if you simply could have multiple split points like you do on other instruments, but at least you can achieve the same effect with a little forward planning.

Cheers,
Mark.

Thank you Mark for your advice, unfortunatly
I can't find Key Layer on my KN7000.
How ever I have notified Technote about this problem and aked them if they would run an article in a future issue of Technote magazine.

Cheers,

Derek

#52309 - 08/27/04 03:01 PM Re: KN7000 Keyboard Split
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi Derek,

To access Key Layer on the KN7000, select Program Menus, Sound Edit, Tone and then Page 2. Before using Key layer you will need to return to page 1 where you will see 4 individual tones. Some voices use all 4 tones (all are set to On) which renders them unsuitable for extra splits however in many cases one or more of the tones is not used (set to Off). You can then select whatever sound you want to add in one of these positions and turn it to on and edit all of the other parameters to suit your requirements (select the solo function in the top left corner to allow you to hear it in isolation but remember to to turn Solo off again when you are satisfied). If you then go to page 2 you can edit the Key Layer function to select the section of the keyboard over which you wish to use each tone. You can also taper sounds. Pages 3 & 4 give you additional parameters to edit. When you exit the tone menus, be sure to save your new edited sound to memory using the write facility and then save it floppy or SD card so that you don't lose it. This procedure is time consuming but the results can be worthwhile. Hope this helps.

For more information, Alec Pagida's book "How Do I Do That?" has an excellent section on sound editing. This was written for the KN6000/6500 but is equally applicable to the KN7000.

cheers
Len C.

[This message has been edited by manorcourt1991 (edited 08-27-2004).]

#52310 - 08/31/04 11:29 AM Re: KN7000 Keyboard Split
D.Munson Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by manorcourt1991:
Hi Derek,

To access Key Layer on the KN7000, select Program Menus, Sound Edit, Tone and then Page 2. Before using Key layer you will need to return to page 1 where you will see 4 individual tones. Some voices use all 4 tones (all are set to On) which renders them unsuitable for extra splits however in many cases one or more of the tones is not used (set to Off). You can then select whatever sound you want to add in one of these positions and turn it to on and edit all of the other parameters to suit your requirements (select the solo function in the top left corner to allow you to hear it in isolation but remember to to turn Solo off again when you are satisfied). If you then go to page 2 you can edit the Key Layer function to select the section of the keyboard over which you wish to use each tone. You can also taper sounds. Pages 3 & 4 give you additional parameters to edit. When you exit the tone menus, be sure to save your new edited sound to memory using the write facility and then save it floppy or SD card so that you don't lose it. This procedure is time consuming but the results can be worthwhile. Hope this helps.

For more information, Alec Pagida's book "How Do I Do That?" has an excellent section on sound editing. This was written for the KN6000/6500 but is equally applicable to the KN7000.

cheers
Len C.

[This message has been edited by manorcourt1991 (edited 08-27-2004).]

Hi Len,

Thanks for your instruction re split keyboard.

I didn't get any further than page 2,maybe I'm too dim,because I could not see how to set the different sections of the keyboard.

Regards,

Derek

#52311 - 08/31/04 12:25 PM Re: KN7000 Keyboard Split
Anonymous
Unregistered

Derek,

Tehnics manual, page 166, Tone Edit, 167 Key Layer and 168 Velocity Layer is where you can accomplish what you are after but possibly not same as the Solton.
I have never used Key Layer, but have programed Velocity layer, whereby pressing harder on the key you obtain a different tone.

Fran in Florida

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online