SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#47312 - 02/15/04 09:26 AM The Rest Of The Story
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
The rest of the story as I received it.

The head guy at Panasonic (I forgot his name but can get it if interested) just recently died. He was a guy that loved music. Because of this great interest he founded technics in the early seventies, I believe it was, as a very small division of panasonic. This division as a profit venture was a miniscule part of the panasonic structure. This fellow, because of his hobby and passion for excellence in music, seen to it that what ever was developed and produced under this technics name was top quality and leading edge stuff. Thus the name! You might say this was his hobby and delight while he was alive. Sort of a special undertaking of his, kind of a passion of his own liking. As long as his pet project was not a burden on the company no one ever questioned it. As we all will tend to experience, he became old and died sometime in the past couple of years. Two of his sons have taken over his place. They or no one else in that position of management has any particular interest in music and it’s high end, leading edge reproduction instruments. Because of being such a tiny part of the overall panasonic structure the decision was made to discontinue the old mans pet project. Thus we have benefited these last few decades because of a very wealthy man’s love of producing very high quality tools for the making and reproduction of beautiful musical sounds. I suppose, and it’s only my personal thoughts, that this music loving old man had no interest in singing and vocal chords. Thus no vocalizer of any consequence. Perhaps an afterthought of some tone deaf design engineer trying to assert his idea of voice enhancement. Now you know the rest of the story.

According to my source, nothing has been done as far as seeking the continuance of this endeavor by any one else and/or company. Bottom line, not love of accomplishment seems to be the corporate mindset of today but making the most money the cheapest way. Oh well! The sun will rise tomorrow as far as I can tell.

Doug

#47313 - 02/16/04 07:10 AM Re: The Rest Of The Story
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hiya Doug
Be aware that the sun rises in the East...chuckle.
Thanks for the background - it doesn't surprise me at all and you are absolutely right in your analysis of the drives of the commercial world - we lost it when we started making motor cars on the line rather than as a cottage industry - vis Frederick Winslow Taylor (1856 - 1917)
Roger M

#47314 - 02/17/04 06:09 AM Re: The Rest Of The Story
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Thanks for the info Rog. I wonder how it would be if it would rise in the South? Seems that the Sun. being so hot, it would be more logical to rise in that area. I wonder who accepts responsibility for that east idea and why?

Doug

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online