SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#43441 - 01/22/04 05:43 AM Help!!
Mike ORegan Offline

Thinking to explore the ORGAN features of my KN7K I invested in a set of MIDI pedals (Ketron). The Technics manual says that, provided the MIDI IN is set to PEDALS, it will receive MIDI messages OK. However, there is no sign of recognition. The pedals work fine with my computer. Does anyone have an answer??
Mike O'R

#43442 - 01/22/04 07:12 AM Re: Help!!
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Mike,
It's been a while since I set up my keyboard for MIDI pedals but here is what I remember.
If you want to play the keyboard as an organ you have to go into the midi preset page and select *Bass Pedals without APC* and set the rear midi switch to *Pedals*.
In this condition the keyboard uses midi channel 4 as the pedal input so you must set your pedal unit to transmit on channel 4.
Give it a try and see if this works.
Walt

#43443 - 01/22/04 07:45 AM Re: Help!!
Mike ORegan Offline

Thanks, Walt, but I don't think you were referring to the KN7K. The manual says that, provided the MIDI IN is set to PEDALS, it will receive MIDI messages on ALL channels (OMNI). I have tried resetting the channel to all others available, but with no result. I am beginning to think that there is a fault on my MIDI IN socket, as it won't receive from ANY MIDI device.
Mike O'R

#43444 - 01/22/04 03:54 PM Re: Help!!
technicsplayer Offline

all I do is switch on with the midi switch in the pedal position and it works, then go to part setting or mixer and adjust the bass pedal sound and effects. If you change the midi switch you have to reboot the 7k.

#43445 - 01/23/04 03:21 AM Re: Help!!
Mike ORegan Offline

Thanks for the advice, Alec. A HARD RESET did the job, but tell me why neither the Technics Manual nor your "Getting the Most. . ." mention the fact that such a reset was necessary to enable the pedals. Nor is there any advice on maintaining pedal operation if a previous DUMP is loaded.
Mike O'R

#43446 - 01/23/04 03:39 AM Re: Help!!
technicsplayer Offline

simply because a hard reset is not required to enable the pedals or initialise the midi settings, and both the manual and my book mention the fact that a reboot is required when changing over the midi bass pedal input.

#43447 - 01/23/04 08:18 AM Re: Help!!
Mike ORegan Offline

I must disagree with you on several points:
1. MY keyboard would not respond to pedals without a HARD RESET. An initialise from the Control Menu was not sufficient.
2. My manual has only one paragraph relating to bass pedal - on page 199 - and, unless my failing eyesight deceives me - there is no mention of the word "boot".
3. Para 2-12 of "Getting the Most" which deals with pedals also has no mention of "boot".
Simply switching the keyboard on and off while changing the MIDI IN switch only works once the pedals have been enabled.
It might have been helpful to mention that a fair amount of "tweaking" is necessary to get the keyboard to emulate an organ, without the APC settings interfering with the simple RH/LH/Pedal arrangement.
Finally, as many pedalboards have key velocity as default, a short explanation of how to disable this would be helpful.
Mike O'R

#43448 - 01/23/04 09:11 AM Re: Help!!
technicsplayer Offline

I disagree with you.
1 I never said an initialise from the Control Menu would clear the problem, I said a hard reset is not necessary - if you know what you are doing.
2 The manual refers to turning off power and on again. If this isn't a reboot of the 7k I don't know what is.
3 The book refers to powering up the 7k, self explanatory.

Now that we've dealt with the facts, I know many owners with pedals who plug them in and go with no problems. Obviously you had some innapropriate midi settings loaded. It is entirely characteristic that rather than look to your own actions you seek to blame everyone else.

#43449 - 01/23/04 11:25 AM Re: Help!!
Mike ORegan Offline

It seems impossible to hold a rational discussion with someone who knows it all and is never wrong!! QED
Mike O'R

#43450 - 01/23/04 11:55 AM Re: Help!!
technicsplayer Offline

It is impossible to hold a rational discussion with someone who deliberately omits facts to suit a non-existent case.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online