SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#48259 - 12/01/03 06:08 AM SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM!
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
For the past 2-3 weeks I've been flooded out with junk emails tempting me to buy prescription medicines but without prescriptions. My ISP Provider can't trace the source(s) cos each mail has a different address. The only place my address is on permanent show is on this site, and I assume this is where it was obtained from ? If so - beware....

Is there any way I can stop this problem?

Peter

#48260 - 12/01/03 06:19 AM Re: SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM!
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Ogre,

You have my utmost sympathy. Like you, I suffered from SPAM to the tune of 100 - 150 per day. I changed my e-mail address. The only place the new address is permanently displayed is on this forum site. I am now back to huge numbers of unsolicited e-mails every day. I am now going to change my e-mail address again and I will not post it on this site. I'm convinced this site (among millions I suppose)is being harvested for e-mail addresses by spammers. I don't know what protections Nigel can provide us. Maybe none. But I would hope that if he has help available, he will use it to protect our interests.

Chuck

#48261 - 12/01/03 07:20 AM Re: SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM!
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
There is just no need to keep receiving junk mail. Set your E-mail browser to accept only named e-mails from a list you make. All other mail is set to be immediately deleted.

I use 2 emails address, one for Web site use and the second only for friends.

Graham UK

#48262 - 12/01/03 07:40 AM Re: SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nigel,
I have a firewall and this has stopped most of the spam. Norton also has a spam eliminator that helps.

I do very little surfing the net. I have friends that surf a lot and the exposure creates spam

Is our e-mail address on the forum, protected so that only members, that can post, can view. If it is not, this allows spam.

Fran in Florida

#48263 - 12/01/03 12:39 PM Re: SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM!
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
you do have the option of NOT having your email address listed on the site ie it's viewable by the administrater , but not by the forum members.

I've had to do this because our main email address is used for hubby's business purposes and I can't afford for it to get flooded with junk.

I opened up a hotmail account( free), and I do end up getting some junk mail, but it normally gets sent straight to a junk folder which takes a couple of seconds to delete.
If I ever ended up being badly spammed, I'd just close it and open a new one.

I only give close friends or someoneone needing to send a large attachment our main email address, as it would be such a hassle to have to notify business associates of email address changes.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#48264 - 12/01/03 02:43 PM Re: SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM!
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I too was bothered by large amounts of Spam but installing 'Mailwasher' solved my problem. It stops the spam from getting on to your PC because you can preview all your emails BEFORE downloading them. The program is free to try for about 28 days and registration is about $20. Worth a try.....

Forgot to say... http://www.mailwasher.net/

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 12-01-2003).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#48265 - 12/01/03 04:35 PM Re: SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM!
John Barr Offline

Loc: Colchester,Essex,England
Quote:
Originally posted by ogre:I too recieve on average 60 bits of Spam ( I call it something else )each day and have tried most of the Spam Busters, I stiil get all these annoying messages but I bought a small program called SpamWeed and I think it is the greatest, now nothing gets to my inbox, except the mail that I want. Johnny B
For the past 2-3 weeks I've been flooded out with junk emails tempting me to buy prescription medicines but without prescriptions. My ISP Provider can't trace the source(s) cos each mail has a different address. The only place my address is on permanent show is on this site, and I assume this is where it was obtained from ? If so - beware....

Is there any way I can stop this problem?

Peter

#48266 - 12/01/03 05:05 PM Re: SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM!
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Use hotmail.com, set your filter to high and only email addresses that are in your address book or on your contact list will be allowed through, i.e. your forum friends. Junk email is automatically deleted. No more spam.

#48267 - 12/02/03 03:49 AM Re: SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM!
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
OK..... But what about genuine new contacts - are they also treated as spam??

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#48268 - 12/02/03 07:13 AM Re: SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM!
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks everyone - seems almost no way out so I think I'll stick with the current provider (aol) with no other action. The top email in the inbox is always highlighted and all I need do is to press the "report spam" button and the offending thingie is automatically deleted. Takes about one sec to click the mouse, but it's still a bit of a nuisance.. Thing is that any spam that I have looked at invariably contains viagara, the word that is to say. 20 years ago I might - I say might - have been tempted but at my age I fear it may be too much for me.

Peter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online