SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#39106 - 11/23/03 05:29 PM Need Help With My First "Single Load"
FlutteringBy Offline

Loc: Northern Canada
Hi All,

I am attempting to do a Single Load of a music style from one panel memory to another, & I am not being very successful......so I thought it best to consult the experts!.... ....

I have a 2400, & my styles are on a floppy......the two tracks I am working with are:
Track 1 - Peavey
Track 5 - Rhumba

What I would like to do is to single load Panel Memory 2, Track 5, Bank A, INTO Panel Memory 2, Track 1, Bank A......

I have Track 1 loaded into my keyboard.....I insert my disk, press Load & highlight Track 5.....on page 3 of the Load Menu, I tell it to Single Load, Track 5, Bank A, Mem 2 into Track 1, Bank A, Mem 2.....I press Load, the screen does couple of flashes & its done.....then, when I go to Track 1, Bank A, Mem 2......I find it has loaded Track 5, Bank A, Mem 5 (instead of 2) as if it is reading the track number for the memory number......

I think my problem is on page 2..... I'm not sure what the settings for Load Options should be (all my settings are at Yes)......which ones should be set at No & which ones should be left at Yes.....

As you can see, I need help with this first attempt... ...

Many Thanks,
FlutteringBy

[This message has been edited by FlutteringBy (edited 11-23-2003).]

[This message has been edited by FlutteringBy (edited 11-23-2003).]

#39107 - 11/24/03 04:34 PM Re: Need Help With My First "Single Load"
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Flutteringby, I did exactly what you outlined with my KN6000 and I had no problem at all. I loaded Track (Style) 1 into Bank A and noted the instrument that was loaded into PM2 position. I then selected Track (Style) 5, went to page 3 and selected Bank A, Panel Memory 2, for a single load, pressed the go button and everything went as expected with a different instrument loaded into PM2. I had everything in the "yes" position on Page 2, so the only thing I can think of that may be different is for you to check "MODE" on page 3 to be sure it's listed as "Panel Memory" and not something else. If you press the mode button, you'll see the heading change. If you just want to select another instrument, then what you're doing is a long-winded way of doing it, but I suspect you're going after a "special sound" that isn't an onboard sound and this is how you do it. That's good if you want to keep all the other PM sounds and change the one, or two, but if you're not concerned about keeping any of the other PM loads, just do a load of Panel Memory and Sound Memory from the selected style. On page two, turn everything to the "off" position except those two and they will load up and replace whatever was in those PM positions. It loads the special PM you want and whatever is in Sound Memory, which will likely have not only the "special sound", but perhaps many others you may want to try out. Sometimes, a step-by-step recheck will show something simple that was changed, or left out for some reason. You know...the reason we slap the heel of our hands against our foreheads.

#39108 - 11/24/03 10:58 PM Re: Need Help With My First "Single Load"
FlutteringBy Offline

Hi Bud,

Thanks so much for verifying those settings for me......

Yes, I do have the mode set to Panel Memory, but I'm still getting the same results... .
On closer examination, I see that most of the memory info is transferring (instruments & tempo) but the main thing that is not transferring is the actual rhythm.....I have a Rhumba rhythm in Track 5, memory 2 & Easy 8 Beat in Track 5, memory 5.....& even though I am specifying that I want the rhythm in memory 2, Rhumba; it is transferring the rhythm from memory 5, Easy 8 Beat (which happens to be the track number..is that a coincidence?)...

What I am wanting is the actual rhythm & the auto play chord for that rhythm.......

It seems I have my memories setup quite differently from everyone else......on Track 1, Bank A, I have my panel memories setup by rhythms:
1 - Country/Shuffle
2 - Rhumba
3 - Polka 2/4
4 - 8 Beat Standard
5 - Waltz
6 - Bluegrass (with split on)
7 - Country 2 Step
8 - Bluegrass (with split off) o
Even though I already have Rhumba listed in panel memory 2, I would like to replace it with a different Rhumba rhythm that I have on Track 5, panel memory 2 of the same disk.....

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "Sometimes, a step-by-step recheck will show something simple that was changed, or left out for some reason. You know...the reason we slap the heel of our hands against our foreheads."......everything seems to be pointing to a setting change & it probably will be one of those "simple" things.... ..

FlutteringBy

#39109 - 11/25/03 01:24 PM Re: Need Help With My First "Single Load"
Bud Whipple Offline

Flutteringby, I don't understand why you want to load up panel memory with rhythms instead of instruments. You can use the PM's to transfer you to any onboard rhythm or whatever you have loaded into custom memory, playing the instrument you desire at the tempo you selected, by using the expand mode to store everything into Panel Memory. It's much easier than what you're doing, and you can save it all out to disk, or store your picks to SD. It sounds like you're going about your set-up's backwards. Choose a style you like, pick the variation you want, set the tempo, select whatever instrument you want playing Right 1 and Right 2, split points, Technichord and whatever else you want for your sound, hold set and press PM1. By using the expand mode, all your selections are recorded in PM1, and now you can move on to PM2 and repeat the process. It's fast, reliable, and versatile.

[This message has been edited by Bud Whipple (edited 11-26-2003).]

#39110 - 12/01/03 10:45 PM Re: Need Help With My First "Single Load"
FlutteringBy Offline

Hi Bud,

Yes, you're right....I'm sorry that I didn't explain it very well, but I am setting up my pm's just as you said, using the expand mode etc....guess I was getting a little "boggled" with this single load thing... ....

Anyway, Alec has very kindly explained to me that a single load is actually 2 steps; just load the single panel memory using page 3, and after that just load the composer from the new file using page 2 of the load with everything else off except composer....it works like a charm!

I am now able to set my disk up exactly how I like it....

Thanks again Alec & Bud

FlutteringBy

#39111 - 12/02/03 12:21 PM Re: Need Help With My First "Single Load"
Bud Whipple Offline

Ah, you see? One more hurdle behind you. All part of the learning process. Another trick is to keep track of all the "special voices" you may gather from downloaded songs, etc., and load them into panel memory banks that you save to disk, for easy retrieval later on. Instruments that someone has tweaked, enhanced or blended with others, or sounds from another keyboard are all worth saving. They come in very handy on many occasions and it's easy to build your own archive just for that special recording need. Have fun - that's what it's all about!

#39112 - 12/02/03 12:57 PM Re: Need Help With My First "Single Load"
FlutteringBy Offline

Bud,

What a great idea to keep track of all the special voices.....that tip is definitely going into my Technics folder!.... ...

Thanks for sharing,
FlutteringBy

#39113 - 12/03/03 06:23 AM Re: Need Help With My First "Single Load"
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FlutteringBy:

Anyway, Alec has very kindly explained to me that a single load is actually 2 steps; just load the single panel memory using page 3, and after that just load the composer from the new file using page 2 of the load with everything else off except composer....it works like a charm!
FlutteringBy

always glad to provide the correct solution

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online