SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#46198 - 09/05/03 03:51 AM Recording LPs
Scarum Offline

Loc: Port Macquarie NSW Australia
I recently embarked on a large project to put all my LPs dating back to the 1960s on CD. Iam using the Goldwave programme which was suggested by members of this forum for which I am very grateful and I may say that it is a fantastic programme taking all the cracks and pops out amongst other things. For those of you out there who are recording LPs,it is worth noting, if you havent already done so, that instead of sending the signal from the pre-amp into the line input of the Sound Card on the back of the computer. You feed the pre-amp output signal into the line input of the KN7000 and thence via the computer USB connection. So you are bypassing the soundcard and extraneous hiss or noise it might generate just the same as you would be if you were making a wave file from the KN7000s own generators.
Iam having excellent results using this method so I thought I would post this on the forum for anyone interested.
Tom Cornish

#46199 - 09/05/03 07:54 AM Re: Recording LPs
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HI TOM,
Welcome to the Technics Forum. Happy to have you here.
Looks like some great and useful info you have posted.
How about more info on goldwave software. Where do you get it? What is the street price? What computers does it work with?
Thanks for sharing,
Best to you
Bebop

#46200 - 09/05/03 08:24 AM Re: Recording LPs
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Tom, Glad you got Goldwave to work OK - it really is 'The Business'. I quite like the idea of using the KN7000 as an A-D converter, which would probably produce a much better signal to noise ratio than the analogue circuits enclosed in a PC environment. I've used a 'Creative Sound Blaster Audigy' sound system in my desktop PC for the same purpose as you and haven't had any noise problems but if anyone tries to use an 'On-Board' sound system for recording LPs, I would expect inferior results.
Goldwave can be downloaded from www.Goldwave.com
It's Shareware but you need to register it to disable some restrictions within the program. Present registration fee is $40 but it's well worth it

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#46201 - 09/05/03 12:17 PM Re: Recording LPs
fmlk4u Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
What I did with my old LP collection was even easier and with good results.

I still had a "washing machine" to clean the LP's and make them antistatic. Then I took the turn table, plugged it into my SB Live! soundcard and used my MusicMatch application to directly record the music as mp3 on disk. Now my collection is on 2 mp3 CD's.

------------------
Kind Regards, Fred

#46202 - 09/05/03 02:31 PM Re: Recording LPs
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
MP3 is probably fine if you just wish to play the discs on a PC or MP3 player. I'll stick with standard CD recordings because they are uncompressed, will play on my home Hi-Fi system and my car Stereo system. As far as I'm aware, there are not many CD players which will play MP3.... or are there??

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#46203 - 09/05/03 05:59 PM Re: Recording LPs
alikat Offline

Loc: york,pa,usa
I've also done the same using Microsoft PLUS Digital Media Edition. Works well, reduces pops and hiss, and is simple to use.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online