Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#55320 - 07/05/03 05:07 AM Golf
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
Hi Doris,

Upon the subject of golf:-

'S'cuse me offisher - just finsssshed hic, my first of aighteen scotchesss - I'm now a fulluly fledged goffer'. Hic. !!

I fully concur with you Doris. Having been a 'hacker'oops golfer' for these past 40yrs, you not only have to be a gentleman, but also very stupid. !!

What person in their right mind, would continuously - day after day - year after year, make pathetic attempts to slosh a little white pill, as far as possible. (in the wrong direction). ? Seriously though, I do agree with your sentiments, even though you've made one omission. Namely.

What other sport, could a 72yrs old, not only go out and play every day, but actually do so with the expectancy of 'GETTING BETTER'. To actually get his handicap cut. ! But that is my lot, and indeed the lot of millions of 72yr olds. We still keep hacking away, hoping to learn the seccret. We never will of course, but by jove, it keeps the blood flowing. --- Regards, Colin leaney.

#55321 - 07/05/03 05:30 AM Re: Golf
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
By jove Colin, are you sssure you post on the right forum?
Cees
+++++++
Quote:
Originally posted by The Leans:
Hi Doris,

Upon the subject of golf:-

'S'cuse me offisher - just finsssshed hic, my first of aighteen scotchesss - I'm now a fulluly fledged goffer'. Hic. !! ............
--- Regards, Colin leaney.

#55322 - 07/05/03 06:57 AM Re: Golf
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Tut tut, put put and away we go.

Grandpa Doug

#55323 - 07/05/03 07:32 AM Re: Golf
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi Colin:
If you can't get on the golf course you can always play 'Straight down the Middle', 'Albatros', 'Colonel Bogey', 'Under the Double Eagle' or 'Tee for Two'
John

#55324 - 07/05/03 07:37 AM Re: Golf
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Colin,

You're so right! I began playing golf at 40 and am still trying to "learn the secret" at 73. The essence of the game is as you stated - the ability to play in one's later years and have the expectancy of "getting better". That would not apply to any other sport at my age. I love the game. And I meet so many nice people at golf courses and that is an added bonus. Keep making beautiful music, and . . .

Happy Golfing, Colin!

Chuck

#55325 - 07/05/03 11:02 AM Re: Golf
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
Ah! Another chance to display my ignorance. The only thing I know about golf is that an inordinate number of strangely shaped clubs are used to swipe at a little white ball and whenever the subject is mentioned the name "Florrie von Donck" springs to my mind - this from a conversation overheard in a train in the early 50's when two obvious enthusiasts were extolling the virtues of the man.
I believe the terms "birdie" and "eagle" etc are used to denote the number of strokes used between each hole. Am I right and how many strokes equals each term? Haven't finished yet - how did these terms originate?

Peter

#55326 - 07/05/03 01:49 PM Re: Golf
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
Hi Peter,

For your 'edification' - the terms of golf:-

A 'PAR' is the official number of shots allocated to each hole, as a 'standard' for that hole.

A 'BOGEY' is a score of 1 shot over the par.
A 'BIRDIE' is a score of 1 shot under the par.
An 'EAGLE' is a score of 2 shots under par.
An 'ALBATROSS' is a score of 3 shots under par.
I have no idea how these terms came into being, but they suggest a tie up with the coastal links courses of Scotland.

Florrie Van Donck was a very fine golfer from Belgium. The only world-class golfer that country ever produced. Belgium is not exactly noted for 'Tiger' Doncks. !!

Enjoy, Colin Leaney

#55327 - 07/05/03 05:42 PM Re: Golf
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
I can't exactly recall just what Belgium is famous for. Surely there must be something. Perhaps a harmonica player

#55328 - 07/06/03 04:57 AM Re: Golf
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
You are quite correct about that JEAN 'TOOTS' THIELEMANS is a superb Jazz Harmonica player and also one of the top Jazz Guitarist. He played with George Shearing for many years. I remember seeing him as a guest on a TV show several years ago, with Oscar Peterson. He talked about the two hour 'One Man Show' he was doing on Guitar - can you imagine that ??
I believe he played the harmonica on the Midnight Cowboy soundtrack.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#55329 - 07/06/03 11:05 AM Re: Golf
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks Colin. Never too late to learn. Thinks. Never thought that a forum devoted to music/keyboards specifically Technics, would run a thread about golf

Peter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online