SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#64083 - 06/14/03 10:38 AM KN secret that will blow your mind!!! Check it out!
Sparky Offline

Loc: lewiston maine usa
I have something great to share with you all. Some will care and some will not. But to some people here, this will be something that will catch your ear!
Okay. This is about the sound and realism of my kn6500 or your kn?? piano and organ.
You know when you play piano for instance. The piano samples are great but,, there is one huge problem with the realism and sound! And that is that the speakers are right in your face and does, and can, not simulate the sound of a real piano cuz a real piano is projecting sound into the room from inside a cabinet. And not directly to your ears via a small speaker!
So I decided to address this problem and so far have a low cost demo made, which shows unreal improvement with no money invested! Already I see that just to take the speakers out of direct contact with my ears "more like a real piano" makes all the difference in the world! Way cool! If you want to try this out all you need is a fairly large piece of corregated cardboard cut from a large box! This is what I have made so far and how to do it,,,,,
I took a box and cut out a piece shaped like a triangle. Then I placed my board kitty corner in a corner of my room. I made the cardboard fit from the bottom of the speakers to into the corner at an upward angle. Also having to cut out where the LCD window is. The window hold the cardboard from sliding down too far. I cut it so that after putting the cardboard in place I can drop down my LCD window to rest on cardboard which seals up the gap. And you may want to keep the window up a bit for some release of sound. The cardboard does not have very straight edges where meeting the wall. This makes for sound escaping and is okay this way. Placing the keyboard nearer or closer to the corner will make the cardboard fir differently and make it higher up on wall. Use a good enuff angle so as to not have cardboard to close to the speakers.
I will explain more later. I have plans to soon build a special wood cab. that fits on my kn6500 via the music stand holes. Light weight as to resinate at a real piano volume even though the speakers will not be sealed in like a speaker cab. Cardboard makes for decent sound. Really.
Sitting and playing piano tunes on my kn now is a whole new thing. It is real sounding. I have edited piano sounds and saved them. these edited sounds are edited for the cardboard piece. And therefore sound so real it would blow you away!!!
The sound is projected so much like a real piano.
And HEY,,,,,, Organs are also unreal!!!
Placing small rags etc... on the cardboard with tune it to your liking. I found no need to though. Not even a decent cab but great effect. And I know that the biggest thing good about it is that it takes the direct ear contact away from the speakers. I Now hear the room sound more! I hear what others would hear if they were away from the board!
I have a speaker expert friend who will make this cab with me. And tune it etc...
For now, using the corner of a room and lone piece of cardboard will do me fine. Warn out, now rigid cardboard will not sound good.
Careful not to force it in place and harm the LCD dispay part. By the way. I have my board on a wood stand with a back to it. Which will be so different from your stand in that it bloacks more sound than yours. So much to consider. But you can improve sound with little thinking. I will be making a great cab that slips on and off easy. This idea is huge! Yes, Another spark has Sparked!
Sparky
You guys let me know how this triggers your mind. hehe
What you think?
Tony

#64084 - 06/14/03 11:43 AM Re: KN secret that will blow your mind!!! Check it out!
Sparky Offline

Let me add 3 things.
1. I didnt mention a shielding board only idea. Like a wide louver panel,similar to the real fin above the trunk of a sports car.
Then it could only shield off direct sound and allow for more of the panning and non acoustic instruments to shine through. Making this method NOT ONLY for piano, organs, basses and a few others that sound lots better with a full shield. In a few weeks this 10" shield will be built.

2. I am posting this for the sole reason of helping others to enhance their quality and enjoyment. So embrace it please. Its a cool/hot topic and would bring more something new into this forum.

3. Please do NOT ignore my post because I haven't participated here or for other reasons. I will only leave again. I know what was going on before and I just thought of this place as less and then left.
Tony

#64085 - 06/14/03 12:14 PM Re: KN secret that will blow your mind!!! Check it out!
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
May be a lot easier to put cotton wool into each ear....Whoooopss Sorry.

#64086 - 06/14/03 12:30 PM Re: KN secret that will blow your mind!!! Check it out!
Sparky Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham UK:
May be a lot easier to put cotton wool into each ear....Whoooopss Sorry.

So you think cotton in ears will generate a room sound huh? haha Pretty funny. Your joking right?
Tony

#64087 - 06/15/03 06:05 AM Re: KN secret that will blow your mind!!! Check it out!
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Tony,

How does your cardboard set up compare to just using a decent pair of earphones??

Ogre

#64088 - 06/15/03 02:34 PM Re: KN secret that will blow your mind!!! Check it out!
Sparky Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ogre:
Hi Tony,

How does your cardboard set up compare to just using a decent pair of earphones??

Ogre

The difference between taking the sound away from direct contact with ears and putting speakers directly on your ears is night and day. The cardboard setup resembles sound coming from the inside of a piano cab. Cause it serves as a cab when in a corner. the 2 walls make cab sides and the cardboard the top. How can one feel at a real piano with speakers in your ears or headphones?????? How? You will feel like your at a keyboard, not at a piano. I desire real piano but cant fit one in my place. Maybe people get so use to the keyboard that they forget how its not so real. But after trying this for piano,,,,,, you will hear the difference. BTW A speaker pro told me one can cut a hole in a box and mount a speaker and it will be lots better sounding than no cab. cardboard resignates quite well.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online