SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#64185 - 02/06/03 06:07 AM Volume Change Re-visited
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
I continue to have the same problem with the sound level changing in an unpredictable manner. This happens on any voice, not only organ voicing, and yes, the modulation wheel is at minimum.
IT DOES NOT HAPPEN IF THE EXPRESSION PEDAL IS NOT CONNECTED. I sincerely believe that this may be a bug in the instrument. It happens more frequently after playing a sequenced file.
Does anyone have any additional ideas?
It's pretty annoying when the volume suddenly changes while playing a live performance in front of a listening audience.
HELP!
Walt

#64186 - 02/06/03 06:38 AM Re: Volume Change Re-visited
MeBob Offline

Loc: Clermont,Florida,USA
Have you tried using another Expression Pedal? Could it possible that your expression pedal has an interal or connection intermitant?

#64187 - 02/06/03 07:45 AM Re: Volume Change Re-visited
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Do you live in Earthquake Country?
Are there any vibrations in the floor where your pedal is located such as from a train or ?
Is your pedal cord plugged all the way into the keyboard socket?
Try moving both the pedal and the onboard volume slider both ways before starting to play or record.
Bebop

#64188 - 02/06/03 12:41 PM Re: Volume Change Re-visited
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
As I said earlier,I had the same problem. However, when I used my Yamaha Pedal playing from the board, I had no problem. I made sure the mod wheel was at zero. When I had my volume drop was when I was playing a midi sequence. I, too, think there is a correlation there.

Bernie

#64189 - 02/06/03 04:00 PM Re: Volume Change Re-visited
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Sometimes,if you haven't used the pedal for some time, a layer of oxide can build up on the Stereo jack plug contact surfaces. Often, you can't see this contamination. Try cleaning the jack plug thoroughly with some solvent, dry it off before refitting in the keyboard socket. If the fault does not occur when the pedal is disconnected, then it would suggest that the problem is either the jack plug, the lead or the pedal itself. As has already been suggested, if possible, try another pedal. Another thing to try would be to set the keyboard playing - say a sequence and then 'waggle' the lead, rotate the jack plug in it's socket and give the pedal a gentle 'kick' to see if any of these treatments make the problem appear.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#64190 - 02/08/03 08:06 AM Re: Volume Change Re-visited
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Bill, Bebop, & Mebop:
I have tried all of these suggestions plus all that have been suggested before to try to solve the problem of volume change.
The expression pedal that I am using is one that has performed flawlessly for over three years on my KN2000. Just to be sure, I again tried it on the KN2000, played for 3 or 4 hours without a glitch. Back on the KN7000 and still a problem.
I checked the pedal potentiometer for noise (I have over 50 years of electronic engineering and design experience) and found no noise or intermittants.
The problem at first seemed to be random, but lately I perhaps see a pattern. I have some additional ideas that I will explore and report on later.
Thanks,
Walt

#64191 - 02/08/03 09:51 AM Re: Volume Change Re-visited
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Walt,
This may or may not apply but would be of general interest.
Because I have 10 keyboards here in my recording studio, I have a lot of expression pedals too.
I bought the new PSR9000 keyboard but did not buy any pedals. I was able to use some pedal switches that had the correct NO or NC, I forget which, with no problem. However I had a problem using foreign Expression pedals. I tried Korg, Technics, and others and I could only get what I though was a unacceptable volume. Yamah replied to me but offered no help. I finally got off the dime and bought the Yamaha pedal and wow, twice as much volume.
Apparantly different pots in the pedal. Live and Learn
Bebop

#64192 - 02/08/03 01:11 PM Re: Volume Change Re-visited
Ad Rouw Offline

Loc: Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Walt,

I assume you don't press Panel Memories or anything, don't move the expression pedal, just play the black and whites and the volume drops...
You say "it doesn't happen if the expression pedal is not connected", then the only thing logical to my mind is to try another expression pedal.
Regards, Ad.

#64193 - 02/08/03 04:22 PM Re: Volume Change Re-visited
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Hi Walt,
I had exactly the same problem that you are having when I moved to the KN6000. The pedal which originally was used on the KN3000 didn’t work on the 6K. A new pedal solved the problem. There is one other thing that I find some players forget to do. That is, press the expression pedal all the way forward and adjust the volume with the slider when playing a sequence or a MIDI file. This will prevent the volume from taking a jump during playback.
Happy tunes,
Frank

#64194 - 02/09/03 07:23 AM Re: Volume Change Re-visited
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Frank,

The last couple of days I was experimenting with some sounds and rhythms I have never used much. The purpose was to freshen up my playing. Because I play at this restaurant quite regularly I figured I might be getting boring to some of their regular customers. With this in mind I injected a few of your disks into my buddy, the KN. I know you like to goof around with this kind of stuff so why not try to pick your mind and see if I could get inside your thought process a bit. Ruthie seems to have done this with me over the years so maybe I could have some success with you. Anyway in my last thread discussing expression in the art of making music and using different vehicles to this end I mentioned you and the fact I haven't seen much from you for a while. Next day, here you are alive, well and sharing. When will you serve us up a new one of your creations?

Grandpa Doug

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online