SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#40893 - 12/29/02 05:36 PM TEMPO CHANGE PROBLEM
NSR Offline

Loc: Sonora, CA USA
Hi guys,

I am having a hard time changing the tempo in work I am doing in SEQUENCER. I first recorded it in one tempo and decided I wanted it a bit slower. I have changed my PANEL MEMORY setting to the new tempo and have gone into PANEL WRITE and done that. It still goes back to the original tempo, overriding the setting in PANEL MEMORY. I have done this in the past without a problem. Normally, the RESET BUTTON will put it in the right PANEL MEMORY settings. I just can't change the tempo. What am I doing wrong? I seldom have to do this change.

#40894 - 12/30/02 02:12 AM Re: TEMPO CHANGE PROBLEM
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Go into the Sequencer edit routine and choose step record. The tempo is set right at the start of the sequence. You may have to use cursor forward/back to show the Tempo setting. When you see it displayed, just change the value and then save the modified sequence, either on top of the existing one, or under a new name. That should do it....

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#40895 - 12/30/02 09:33 AM Re: TEMPO CHANGE PROBLEM
NSR Offline

Hi Willum,

I have done what you said and it still goes back to the original tempo I recorded it in. Unless I have misunderstood you I have done the following:

I went into RECORD & EDIT, clicked on STEP RECORD and can see the tempo in the upper right hand corner. I changed the tempo setting with the wheel (even activated the cursor) and soon as I leave STEP RECORD to PANEL WRITE, it pops right back to the original tempo before I can PANEL WRITE. I also tried fooling it by changing the tempo and renaming it. The new tempo setting stays, I use PANEL WRITE, go into RECORD & EDIT, bring up PUNCH RECORD and I am right back to the original tempo that I don't want. Also, I have tried leaving PANEL WRITE after I have made my change and go to SEQUENCER PLAY, It goes back to the original tempo.

I thought perhaps my PANEL MEMORY wasn't working with PANEL WRITE but I can make any change with no problem except the tempo change. As I have said, I have reset the PANEL MEMORY tempo change but the SEQUENCER overrides it. I know I have been able to make this change in the past, though seldom done or needed but now, I can't seem to be able to. I even tried saving to disk, the new tempo change and reloading it and it comes back to the original tempo setting.

I probably have misunderstood you.

#40896 - 12/30/02 10:47 AM Re: TEMPO CHANGE PROBLEM
NSR Offline

Willum,

There is more than one way to skin a cat. I have resolved my problem but it shouldn't have to be done the way I did it. To begin with, I do all my own backing in COMPOSER. I never use pre-sets or other people's ideas. As in this case, in my intro, I have grace notes and therefore sound is not heard on the first 3 beats of the first measure. With this in my favor, I am able to PUNCH RECORD in the original tempo that I can't get rid of, activate record in CONTROL, press the start button, PUNCH IN, press the PANEL MEMORY that I have set to the new tempo and immediately PUNCH OUT. It works. The end result is when hitting the reset button, it is in the original tempo but immediately changes to the new tempo through CONTROL. There has to be a better way to do this than this way.

#40897 - 12/30/02 12:25 PM Re: TEMPO CHANGE PROBLEM
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
I can see the tempo in the upper right hand corner.

Hi NSR. Your comment above is,I think, where you're going wrong. It is the Control track that you need to edit. Use the cursor as Willum says until you see tempo - then change as required. If you use several panel memories in your sequence, then I suggest you go to Panel Memory Expand mode and turn tempo to off. The sequencer will then play throughout at the changed tempo
John

#40898 - 12/30/02 01:42 PM Re: TEMPO CHANGE PROBLEM
NSR Offline

Hi John,

Are you saying that I should go into STEP RECORD, click on the CONTROL track and change the tempo? I have tried this two ways. (1) Changed the tempo using the big TEMPO/PROGRAM button (I don't have to use the cursor, the tempo is visible) and up pops YES or NO. I clicked YES. As soon as I leave STEP RECORD to go to PANEL WRITE, it goes back to the original tempo. (2) I have done the above but ignore the YES or NO, go out and the same thing happens. I haven't done what you also suggested I might do by going in and turning TEMPO to off. I am using only one PANEL MEMORY. All my changes are in my VARIATIONS.

#40899 - 12/30/02 02:49 PM Re: TEMPO CHANGE PROBLEM
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
NSR, I have mapped out the procedure for you, but my wife just called me down for dinner. I will try to get back to this tonight, but for sure, by tomorrow. I've used this way many times and it always works.

#40900 - 12/30/02 04:03 PM Re: TEMPO CHANGE PROBLEM
Bud Whipple Offline

Okay, load your sequenced song and press the play button to turn it off. Press the program menus button>sequencer>record & edit>step record>press #6 (ctl) and the tempo will show at the upper right and middle lower screen. Change the setting with the tempo wheel to whatever tempo you want and you'll see the value change>press "yes">exit the screen>press #7 (rhy) and repeat the process to change the tempo value>yes>exit the screen>exit sequencer. The screen will show your song with the new tempo in place. Go to program menus>control>panel memory mode and check to see if you are in expand or normal mode.>exit menus. In panel memory section press set and the panel memories you use for your song. If you recorded in expand mode, you will have to set the new value in each panel memory you used. Turn the tempo wheel in each pm position and press set and the pm button. If you used normal mode for recording, you should only have to do this once. In any case, press each pm position you use to double check that the new tempo value is showing, and if not, change it and press set/pm button once again. When all this is done, press the sequencer play button to bring up the screen with the new tempo and reset the sequencer. Save the song to a blank spot on a disk and reload when the process has finished. Your song should load with the new value. Play it through once to make sure that all the changes happen as you programmed them and the tempo stays at the new value. Even though you may do this a dozen times with no problems, things happen, so always double check before you copy the song file back to the original disk. Personally, I like to use expand mode for changes and move through the panel memory positions with my foot switch. It's prone to stubbornness at times, but makes for smooth changes. This should clear up your problem.

#40901 - 12/31/02 12:00 PM Re: TEMPO CHANGE PROBLEM
NSR Offline

Hi Bud,

Thank you, thank you!!! IT WORKS!!! How the heck did you figure this out? Firstly, I don't use the RHYTHM track in my recordings. I don't understand why I needed to set the new tempo in that track. As soon as I put in the new tempo in RHYTHM track, it stayed and I was able to go to PANEL WRITE and make the change. I first did what you said to do and went to CONTROL and made the change and clicked YES but going out of the track, it went right back to the original tempo.

We are able to make various changes by using the PANEL WRITE. Why it doesn't recognize the new tempo I had set in PANEL MEMORY is a real mystery. It does on all other settings in a PANEL MEMORY set. I do have it set to EXPAND.

Thanks, again and I want to wish you the very best in the New Year and to all of the forum members - HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Best,

NSR (Scott)

#40902 - 01/01/03 09:52 AM Re: TEMPO CHANGE PROBLEM
Bud Whipple Offline

Scott, I glad I could help. I ran into the problem some time ago and couldn't figure it out, so I posted the problem, just as you did, and Alec Pagida told me how to do it. However, it didn't always work for me, so I kept experimenting and came up with a workable solution. Even so, sometimes I have to do it a second time before the change will take, so I figure I missed a crucial step somewhere along the line. Remember, you can't hurt the keyboard by trying something new or experimenting with this or that....just keep your backup disks up to date so you won't lose any songs. Now you're all ready to take on the new year, so go get 'em!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online