SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#59161 - 09/12/02 02:44 PM used 6500 or new 2000
Bluebird Offline

Hi guys,
After a long time thinking about, I was decided to buy a PSR2000 (1500 euros).
Bur now, I have seen an used KN6500 priced in a few more (1700 euros), and a new one priced in 2100.
So, distances are now short, and I doubt.
And my questions are:
What will be a better choice?
I think kn will sounds better (a lot more Mb for sounds, and I suppose a better piano sound in KN). But, apart sounds, what are the real differences?
Is KN easier to play, make songs, manage styles?
Does Yamaha styles converted to KN will sound as well as Technics styles converted to 2000?
Help will ve apreciated

#59162 - 11/24/02 04:46 PM Re: used 6500 or new 2000
Ann in New Zealand Offline

Loc: New Zealand
I have just bought a second-hand Technics KN6500. Might I suggest you try the PSR2000 next to the KN6500 like we did and I don't think you will have any trouble deciding which one to buy. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Ann in New Zealand (edited 11-24-2002).]

#59163 - 11/24/02 05:17 PM Re: used 6500 or new 2000
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I am a Yamaha PSR2000 owner as well as a former Technics KN owner. Here's my opinion.

If composing (sequencing/editing) directly in the arranger keyboard itself is important, the KN6500 wins HANDS down. The PSR2000's onboard sequencer editing ability is more limited. The KN6500's sounds (including the piano) is far superior to the PSR2000. The KN6500's jazz & swing & orchestral styles far surpass the 2000, but the 2000's pop styles have the edge. On the other hand, the PSR2000 includes a very good sounding built in vocal harmonizer while the KN6500's vocalizer is very limited in both sound quality and features.

The Yamaha PSR2000 is an excellent 'bang for the buck' kb as we say in America, but 1500 euros sounds like a much higher price that what I see it for in the US. Here it goes for (streetprice) under $1,100 US dollars (1,122 euros). It really isn't fair to compare the Technics KN6500 to the PSR2000 because the 6500 is a TOP of the line model whereas the PSR2000 is Yamaha's mid priced budget arranger.

My feeling is that if you can afford 1700 euros, that the KN6500 will offer you (overall) a LOT more in both features and sound quality. I have converted Technics styles to my Yamaha keyboard as well as Yamaha styles to my Kn5000 KB and they both sound pretty good, but remember that all converted styles NEVER sound as good as played on the original source keyboard.

Bluebird, perhaps if you provide us more detail on exactly how you intend to use your keyboard (live performance, vocals, studio work, recording, music genre preference, etc), it might help in deciding which arranger to go with.

- Scott

#59164 - 11/26/02 02:59 PM Re: used 6500 or new 2000
Bluebird Offline

Thanks a lot, Scot. I provide your more detail, as you ask me.
I will use the keyboard not for live perfomance, usually only at home. I like a lot to work with styles, the possibility to play a lot of them. I think you may play styles on yamaha direct from disk, but not on technics. But, by the other side, I like richer styles, and yamaha styles usually seems to me a few simple and repetitive.
About sounds, I like acoustic sounds, not synths. And I like specially piano voice. In the fact, I would like to play some times only piano works (and to have something similar to a piano). I don't like much Yamaha piano voice, it sounds as a piano-guitar for my ears. Y prefer technics piano. And about music genre preference, I prefer slow music, ballades, sweet music (not dance, not ibiza, not rock...).
Thanks a lot, Scott

#59165 - 11/26/02 03:25 PM Re: used 6500 or new 2000
Scottyee Offline

Hi Bluebird,

It appears like the KN6500 will be your BEST choice (and value @ $1700 euros) considering what you've told me. The KN6500's acoustic piano is FAR better than the PSR2000 and the KN6500's keyboard feel is far superior (though certainly not compared to a REAL piano) to the PSR2000.

You are right that the Yamaha loads styles almost instantly compared to Technics (short delay). In addition, Yamaha styles will continue to play the previous style while loading the new style and then it automatically syncronizes the new style to begin 'in time' following the previous one.

As far as the styles, I personally like the simpler Yamaha styles because I prefer to play LIVE as much as possible, and find too much auto accomp going on to be distracting. The Technics auto accomp parts can be easily muted/unmuted as needed so this isn't really an issue I suppose.

Bluebird, it sounds like the KN6500 may be the idea arranger keyboard for YOU, especially at its discounted price. I hope you'll eventually post some songs (MP3 format) you produce on your KN6500 and share it with everyone here on the forum.

Happy keyboarding,

Scott

#59166 - 11/27/02 06:12 AM Re: used 6500 or new 2000
Bluebird Offline

Thanks, Scott, I'll try it.
But there is also the new Ketron SX9, a few more priced as PSR2000... Actually, it is difficult to decide :-)
Cheers

#59167 - 11/27/02 10:42 AM Re: used 6500 or new 2000
Scottyee Offline

I've auditioned and played the Ketron XD9 in person on several occasions. Based on what you said you're looking for in an arranger (good piano sound, user friendly navigation, sweet & ballads music genre vs driving rock dance, etc), I don't think you'll be at all happy with the XD9. The Ketron arrangers also have a terrible record with reliability as well. I still think the Technics KN6500 may be the BEST choice for your pocketbook & musical needs.

#59168 - 11/27/02 11:22 AM Re: used 6500 or new 2000
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Scott - "....You are right that the Yamaha loads styles almost instantly compared to Technics (short delay). In addition, Yamaha styles will continue to play the previous style while loading the new style and then it automatically syncronizes the new style to begin 'in time' following the previous one." ....
I am a little confused by this statement. Where are you 'loading' the style from? When I am playing for example "Green Dolphin Street" and want to switch from a Latin beat to a jazz/swing beat all I have to do is make sure that the 2 styles I want to use are hilighted under each category ... for example, when I press the 'Latin' style group 'Bossa' is hilighted, and if I press the 'Jazz' style group 'Modern Jazz' is hilighted ... then as I'm playing and want to switch from Latin to Jazz, I just have to press the 'Jazz' group button and it switches from Bossa to Modern Jazz ... also, I will press a 'fill-in' button to lead into the next rhythm. ..... Of course, another means of accomplishing this is to preset the styles, instruments, etc. in the Panel Memories.... I use the PMs when I am doing a jazz tune where I want to do a solo or whatever in 'double time' ....
BTW . I'm using a kn6000 ....
t.

#59169 - 11/27/02 12:43 PM Re: used 6500 or new 2000
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Where are you 'loading' the style from?

Hi Tony. I agree that switching styles that are 'internal'to the KB, on both the KN & PSR keyboards, is instant. I was referring to loading styles from 'floppy disk'.

On Technics KN boards, when loading styles from a floppy, there is a delay (4+ seconds) while the file loads. On the other hand, styles loaded via floppy on Yamaha PSR keyboards are basically instant (direct play). There is no interruption of the previous style played, and the new style automatically plays starting (synchronized) at the beginning of the next bar.

Scott

#59170 - 11/27/02 02:00 PM Re: used 6500 or new 2000
Bluebird Offline

Scott and Tony,

About playing styles from floppy, it is not clear to me a question on 6500:

On psr2000, I can play a style direct from floppy, whithout to load it before as user style (on user area into kb). So, although I have several user styles into kb (and I have full the user area for it), I can to play with styles from floppy, that doesn't affect user styles: they remain in user area.

But on 6500, can I play a style direct from floppy disk without to load it in user area (as Yamaha do) or have I load it on user area before? In that case, if the user area for styles is full, I must delete some styles from this area before... So, I will have to reserve a great deal of user area (for 20 styles, I think) to listen new styles, because I can't play with them direct from disk. Is it ok? It will be a great disadvantage, if it is so.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online