SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#61091 - 09/12/02 08:04 PM Bass problem on KN7000
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Yesterday I collected my KN7000 and spent the whole evening trying it out. A problem I encountered is related to the level of the bass note played with a chord using APC. I have some excellent organ settings sent me a generous contributor to this forum, and have used them to great effect on the KN6000. In particular, I use them in an arrangement of Ave Maria (the Bach/Gounod version), which I play without rhythm but still using the keyboard split, APC on, on bass, and on the KN6000 it sounds terrific. The bass notes come through sounding like bass notes played on a pedal board of a good organ. But on the KN7000 the bass note is very weak. Is there some way to adjust the level of the bass note? I've tried all the readily available fader controls (although I haven't done anything in the mixer). I even checked that there was sound coming out of the bass port, now at the back of the instrument.

Any help would be appreciated, but for now Ave Maria is off my list of pieces to play in public.

Mike

#61092 - 09/12/02 09:33 PM Re: Bass problem on KN7000
Benno Kattenat Offline

Loc: qualicum beachBC Canada
Mike, on the 6000you go to program menu, then sound edit,then amplitude,then you raise the level of the sound, you should be able to do this on the 7000 also,try this its only a sugestion,i havent a7000 yet,best regards BENNO

#61093 - 09/13/02 02:10 AM Re: Bass problem on KN7000
technicsplayer Offline

depends which part... presumably since you are playing without rhythm you are talking about the root bass sound rather than the left sound? If root bass, press menu, sound, mixer, other parts, other parts and raise the root bass from its default of 105 and try changing the voice. That's the first step, there would be many other ways to get the sound you want.

#61094 - 09/13/02 07:39 PM Re: Bass problem on KN7000
Sparky Offline

Loc: lewiston maine usa
I don't have a 7000 yet. but A guess would be that since you 1st got it you got right to the organ sounds which are full and probably loud. So much so that the bass sounds weak? Just a guess, but maybe turning down the other parts some? Being that the 7000 has a bigger amp and the bass port is in the back. Having it up against a wall might block sound coming from the bass port being that its in the back. But who has a keyboard in the middle of the room. To test this theory, head phones would tell you if the port is not ideal in the 7000 if against the wall. Trying to help but I may be wasting your time. Let me know cuz I am wondering. Seeing that I intend on getting a 7000.
Tony

#61095 - 09/14/02 12:30 AM Re: Bass problem on KN7000
Mike Daniell Offline

Thanks for all the suggestions - the problem is now solved. Yes, Alec, the root bass was the part that was lacking, and thanks for your step-by-step guide on fixing it up, as I have never ventured that far into the mixer before.

Now for my interpretation of the cause. I don't have access to a KN6000 anymore so I cannot verify this, but I'm fairly sure of my facts because I know what it sounded like on the 6K. I surmise that the root bass settings in my panel memories / sound memories as saved on the 6K were not recognised when I loaded the files into the 7K. I say this because the root bass setting on all the panel memories I use for this piece were set (on the 7K) to Electric Bass, level 105. I presume Electric Bass is the default. Other parts (L, R1 and R2) were all set correctly. After some fiddling around, I found that these organ sound memory settings I was using had a Church Bass 16' and a Church Bass 8'. When I changed the root bass from Electric Bass to Church Bass 16' I got the sound I was expecting, ie the sound I used to get on the 6K. So I have now re-saved on the SD card the panel memory settings for Ave Maria, with Church Bass 16' as the root bass sound. I have left the level at 105 for the moment, but I may adjust that when I have listened to it a bit more, and tried the whole piece at a higher level - there's heaps more headroom on the 7K!

Tony - interesting about having the keyboard up against a wall. I used to have it there, but I had to reposition the keyboard as I found some of the wording over the buttons difficult to read due to reflection from the main room light. So I turned the keyboard round 90 degrees, so it is now facing into the centre of the room.

Finally, yes I am very satisfied with my KN7000, even though I have not yet got into using the new sounds. I found the sound on the 6K was good, but the 7K is even better. 'Crisper' is probably the word that best explains the difference. Oh, and 'Louder'.

Mike

#61096 - 09/14/02 02:58 AM Re: Bass problem on KN7000
technicsplayer Offline

good. I can't remember a 6k file where I changed root bass sound, but I have sequences and setups where I deliberately saved those volumes at zero on 6k, and they still load OK on the 7k. There could be several explanations but I would need a file to see exactly.

You don't need a great deal of space behind the port as long as you don't block it. Subwoofers sit only a couple of centimeters above the floor and deep bass wavelengths still propagate fine.

#61097 - 09/14/02 06:45 AM Re: Bass problem on KN7000
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Mike or Alec,

I have the KN6000 (upgraded) and enjoy playing organ. I also have the organ work station (pedals)and I like a lot of bass. I read your explanantion above, then tried to find a way to change the root bass from electric bass to Church Bass 16'. Need your help. I've searched my keyboard for the Church Bass 16'tone and have checked my "blue book" listings of tones and cannot find it. Is the Church Bass 16' tone on the KN7000 only? If not, I would appreciate it if you would give me a step by step procedure to follow to enable me to change the Root Bass tone on my KN6000 to Church Bass 16'. You can e-mail me if you prefer at charles.piper@ntlworld.com. Thanks to both of you for any help you can give me.

Best Regards, Chuck

#61098 - 09/14/02 08:14 AM Re: Bass problem on KN7000
technicsplayer Offline

just follow the steps above, press menu, sound, mixer, other parts, other parts and on the left or right select function, change sound, pan, volume etc, and at the bottom select the root bass channel.

Mike can tell you exactly what sound he meant on the 7k since there are many more organ samples, as long as you play the right octave, which can be adjusted with key shift +/-12 on page 5 of the mixer, many sounds on your 60/ew65 will do. There is an organ bass in electric organ, or use cathedral or full organ or 16' & 1' ? You could put a sound edit into root bass for example.

#61099 - 09/14/02 08:40 AM Re: Bass problem on KN7000
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Alec,

Thank you for the rapid response. I appreciate it very much. I will follow your instructions. I have been concentrating on learning to play rather than studying the features of the keyboard and learning how to use them, so I am rather ignorant in that department. I will address that problem eventually. There is so much to learn and so little time to do it. I have your book, the manual, and Technote's videos, so I have the material at hand to work with. Even so, it is not always clear (after reading manuals and watching videos) how to resolve a problem or figure out which Push-Button sequence to employ. We are very fortunate indeed to have you, and so many others, who willingly share their expertise.

Thanks again, Alec

Chuck

#61100 - 09/14/02 04:09 PM Re: Bass problem on KN7000
Mike Daniell Offline

Chuck,

The Church Bass 16' is not an inbuilt sound but came with a set of organ sounds I have that get stored in the 'Memory' sound group.

Alec, I could send you a copy of the KN6000 files I used if you would like to check my theory - I'd be interested in knowing if my explanation is correct. Just email me. If this is a reproducable problem maybe we can get Technics to fix it.

Regards,
Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online