SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#40768 - 05/14/02 03:46 PM Practise
lrngkybrd Offline

Loc: Queen Creek, Arizona
I was wondering how you go about practising. I have seen people sit down at a keyboard and start playing beautifully and they have no music in front of them. Do you play certain songs over and over until you know them by heart, or do you memorize an individual song before going on to the next? I can play a lot of music but I must have the sheet music. I want to learn to play some songs without sheetmusic. What do you suggest?

#40769 - 05/14/02 03:57 PM Re: Practise
kozykeys Offline

Loc: york england
Practice is a disciplin that is hard to adapt to it involves playing something you are sick of over and over again and making sure that what you are playing is correct,untill the day dawns when you can play that piece or scale with your eyes shut and still seeing the music.

#40770 - 05/14/02 04:00 PM Re: Practise
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Lrngkybrd,

I'm glad you asked the question. It is one I have been wanting to ask but never got around to it. Like you, I play from music mostly, but have also memorized a few tunes. I find it takes me ages to memorize a song. I will be very interested to hear what our friends have to say on this matter. Perhaps they can share some practice tips with all of us that will help us become better players.

Best Regards, Chuck

#40771 - 05/14/02 04:05 PM Re: Practise
Chuck Piper Offline

Hi Kozykeys,

Guess you and I were writing at the same time. When I hit the "post" button on my comments, there you were just in front of me. I have had the same experience as you when memorizing a song i.e., I've played it so many times I can "see" the music. Maybe that is the only way to make it happen? There probably is no easy way to do it - no shortcut.

Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts.

Best Regards, Chuck

#40772 - 05/14/02 05:39 PM Re: Practise
kozykeys Offline

Hi chuck
Iknow one thing for sure about practice
every song you learn to play gives you a bigger knowledge of chords this in itself makes practising a lot easier because you dont have to think about where to put your fingers to form the chords, I believe this is called using your body memory rather than your mind,just as you do when you pick up a cup or write your name .
jan
Bit deep is'nt it.

[This message has been edited by kozykeys (edited 05-14-2002).]

#40773 - 05/14/02 06:19 PM Re: Practise
Sissle Offline

Loc: USA - South Dakota
Hi,

Be glad you have to follow the music. I play a phrase of a song a few times and remember it. Then I play the next phrase and remember it. However, the bad news is that because I remember the phrases, I don't look at the music. Never fails, half way through the song, I forget which phrase comes next. When I look up at the music, I don't have a clue where I am at. Then, because I memorize this way, I have to start all over from the beginning in order to even play it again. Not a good thing! My piano teacher threatens to put a cardboard collar around my neck that sticks out about 10 inches so I can't watch the keys! Says it will keep my mind on the music! LOL

Carol

#40774 - 05/14/02 06:54 PM Re: Practise
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Practice - necessary, but distasteful! I try to practice scales to limber up my stiff fingers, but learning a song is a whole new world. I play all my songs from memory with the sheet music there for a quick backup peek if I need it. I have mostly played by ear from my earlier days when I was learning guitar and couldn't read music. I would listen to a song on tape for a few bars then practice until I had it down pat, then move on to the next measure. It was a lot of work but the only way I could learn a song, and when I switched to console organ, things just fell into place and playing by ear worked well. I forced myself to learn basic notation so I could read simple music scores from fake books, etc., and that's how I do it today. Learn the song from the sheet music, play it over and over until it becomes second nature, make changes you like to hear (arranging), then record it. Sometimes I will listen to an earlier song I recorded and wonder how I managed to do that - forgetting the hours I put into the preparation. Playing by ear is something you just acquire after years of practice, plus it helps to have an ear for music.

#40775 - 05/14/02 07:24 PM Re: Practise
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I tried for years to play by ear with no real success. There are many songs that I have played so many times that my hands just seem to do what they are supposed to do with no thought at all. But, on occasion, things don't seem to go right and if I am not reading the score I am completely lost and like Carol, I am helpless. So, I force myself to use fake sheets and stay with the score. Often, I use the lyrics to find my way when I have lost my place. There is no hope for me to play without my fake sheets and when you're in your 70's it's too late to change.

#40776 - 05/14/02 07:36 PM Re: Practise
Chuck Piper Offline

Hi Jan and Carol,

Know what? Your comments give me great comfort because I obviously have some company. My experiences parallel yours. I, too, play chords more easily by practicing a song over and over while committing it to memory. On the other hand, Carol, I've experienced the same problem you spoke of i.e., losing my place in the music when I forget a phrase and have to refer to the music to carry on playing. Maybe I need a collar? Ha! And this is the truth - sometimes I get so engrossed in listening to the lush sounds the keyboard is producing that I lose concentration on my playing and forget where I am in a song, then have to start from the beginning again!

Lrngkybrd, you raised this issue and it is a good one. I think the answer to your question is this: if you want to sit down and play without music like other people do, you have to memorize, memorize, memorize. I am finding that the more I try to memorize, the easier it becomes. May I suggest you begin by selecting a song you really like that has an easy melody line and a limited number of chords and chord changes. Memorize it. Then select a second song to memorize. And this is important - play the first song every day while you work on the second.

One final word. I don't know if Jan and Carol have had the same experience, but I find that by playing my repertoire of memorized tunes every day, I begin to hear little things that I can add to each song which gives them a personal touch - and hopefully adds to the listening pleasure of the listener. The ultimate benefit is that your playing skills are improving - DAILY!

Best Regards, Chuck

#40777 - 05/15/02 02:02 AM Re: Practise
kozykeys Offline

exactly chuck this is the only way to build up a repetoire sometimes after a while a most styles imediatly put a song in yor head and you can play them straight away without the dots.I don't know if any of you have had the experience of play a song without looking at what is on the music stand looked up at the music and still carried on playing the first song untill you realise that it is not on the music stand then go all to pieses strange is'nt it. Perhaps when you knoe a song the music simply becomes a crutch and looking at it becomes habit
strange is'nt it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online