I am an on and off recordist by necessity due to some recent interruptions in my life. I have had a studio several times,but I never got it up to snuff. I think I am finally starting to make some progress toward the goal of a good home studio. Aside from all the obvious stuff necessary like great monitor speakers,good cables,proper acoustic surroundings,noise isolation,good mikes,etc. there is the question of efficient workflow.
It seems like I am not alone amongst the folks who seem to be spending huge amounts of time on either a software or hardware learning curve.
I always liked the KISS idea. Keep it simple stupid. I just want to get good quality audio either onto a CD or onto the web or both.
I am starting this time from the ground up all the way from the room to the desk to the gear. I should mention I am not a wealthy guy,so cost is paramount.
I have used Cakewalk pro 9 and Sonar and a stand alone Roland VS unit. I have a Yamaha keyboard and some soft synths.
I am curious as to what you use,why you use it and how it has made your life easier. I am open to any suggestions. There must be tons of equiptment out there the average guy or girl can afford and multiple ways it can all be connected.Some of us have for sure learned a better way through trial and error.I have a lot yet to learn.
Specifically I was curious about equipment configurations and how you have assembled your studio for maximum production with minimun hassles.I find myself in the sound room pissing away most of the time trying to find out how to do something instead of actually doing it.