SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#508720 - 08/18/23 11:48 PM Ketron Event vs. SD vs. Audya
Dreamkeeper Offline

Loc: Germany
I was about to get my Audya ready for sale and played it. The instrument sounds so great, better than my SD90, which I also own. It probably has better DA converters, I can't explain it, but the difference is clear: Audya is sound-technically the SD9 (SD90)
superior!
Now, of course, the question arises: what about the Ketron Event now? When I listen to the youtube videos: Event sounds pretty much the same as SD. Could anyone comment on the difference in sound between Audya, SD, Event?

#508722 - 08/19/23 07:07 AM Re: Ketron Event vs. SD vs. Audya [Re: Dreamkeeper]
fozzie Online   content

Hi!
I think the same, Audya sounds better than SD9 / SD90. Upgrading to Event, in my opinion, is not worth the money for what it costs. Not when I already have Audya and SD90.

/fozzie

#508723 - 08/19/23 11:01 PM Re: Ketron Event vs. SD vs. Audya [Re: fozzie]
Sokratis 1974 Offline

Loc: Hellas, Creta, Iraklion
Originally Posted By fozzie
Hi!
I think the same, Audya sounds better than SD9 / SD90. Upgrading to Event, in my opinion, is not worth the money for what it costs. Not when I already have Audya and SD90.

/fozzie

Hello. Would you like to explain to us the reasons for which in your opinion the upgrade to Event is not worth the money that it costs as you said?

#508724 - 08/19/23 11:11 PM Re: Ketron Event vs. SD vs. Audya [Re: Sokratis 1974]
LeonB Offline

Loc: Croatia
Once the human ear gets used to a certain sound of the arranger accompaniment, any change will sound worse. Regardless of the fact that the new sound is realistically better.
I had the opportunity to play Audya and after that EVENT. EVENT is far ahead of the good old Audia and has a more modern and powerful sound. In addition, the possibilities that EVENT has are also much greater.
A musician who does not understand and hear this will certainly not give extra money, but that is not a matter of the instrument and its value. It is a matter of one's own perception and view on investing. wink

#508725 - 08/19/23 11:35 PM Re: Ketron Event vs. SD vs. Audya [Re: LeonB]
Sokratis 1974 Offline

Originally Posted By LeonB
Once the human ear gets used to a certain sound of the arranger accompaniment, any change will sound worse. Regardless of the fact that the new sound is realistically better.
I had the opportunity to play Audya and after that EVENT. EVENT is far ahead of the good old Audia and has a more modern and powerful sound. In addition, the possibilities that EVENT has are also much greater.
A musician who does not understand and hear this will certainly not give extra money, but that is not a matter of the instrument and its value. It is a matter of one's own perception and view on investing. wink

Strongly Agree!!

#508726 - 08/20/23 06:43 AM Re: Ketron Event vs. SD vs. Audya [Re: Sokratis 1974]
fozzie Online   content

Hello Socratis!
Maybe I expressed myself wrong. What I meant was that for me it is not worth the money. As for the Ketorn, the Audya and SD90 together sound good to me. Of course there are new styles, better sound, better operating system in Event etc. etc.
But not that I would pay that price to replace what I have.
I'm not complaining about Ketron, they make great keyboards.

/fozzie

#508728 - 08/20/23 11:07 PM Re: Ketron Event vs. SD vs. Audya [Re: fozzie]
Sokratis 1974 Offline

Originally Posted By fozzie
Hello Socratis!
Maybe I expressed myself wrong. What I meant was that for me it is not worth the money. As for the Ketorn, the Audya and SD90 together sound good to me. Of course there are new styles, better sound, better operating system in Event etc. etc.
But not that I would pay that price to replace what I have.
I'm not complaining about Ketron, they make great keyboards.

/fozzie

Hello Fozzie.
I meant no harm. I would just like when we say something to include arguments. So for example: The Event is not worth the upgrade for this, and for this reason. I work Ketron models since 2000 with SD1, then with Audya and for a short time (few months) I had a borrowed SD9 from a friend. So I never bought the SD9 and I don't regret it at all. So in this I can cite too many arguments and explain why I never upgraded from Audya to SD9. But I still have a lot more to say that the Event is several classes above anything else that has ever come from Ketron. So I'm asking questions just to see your own arguments that I or others may be ignoring.

Edited by Sokratis 1974 (08/20/23 11:09 PM)

#508736 - 08/21/23 11:55 PM Re: Ketron Event vs. SD vs. Audya [Re: Dreamkeeper]
Sokratis 1974 Offline

Well. I made a comment a while ago on another post where someone was asking if the upgrade from Audya to Event is worth it. So I'm reposting my answer here as well
Event is, I think, the most creative Arranger ever made. Its creative possibilities are truly unique, since we can have User Real Bass (audio), User Real Chord (audio), User Real Drum (audio) with 3 different Percussion sliced Groove section and two different midi Drum kit section.

Noteworthy is the new midi multichord which is a new Ketron revolution and we can have in each different chord (for example Major) 7 or even 12 different midi files, the same in minor, m7, 7, 6, m6 and so on respectively. The same in midi bass as Multbass. Apart from that we can have simple user midi file chord as well as user drum midi patterns in each style and in each variation separately! For the first time in Ketron we can also have a different time signature in each variation (like Korg), which is equally important.
Also extremely creative on stage is the new real-time FX section, from which through switches and rotary switches we can control the FX, open and close, change the FX algorithm, as well to have control over predefined parameters. As if we had external FX pedals.
Two different Voice section, with different sliders.

New Natural algorithm in the Voice Edit (with OS 1.3) which adds a random delay (1-50ms) to each of the three sounds of each Voice which makes the combination of instruments, e.g., saxophone, trumpets, accordion extremely more realistic because in a real orchestra it is never possible for all three of these instruments to play and sound exactly at the same time, at the exact same point in time but continuously in each instrument the timing is different on each note even though they play together.
Excellent!!

I could list more but they need more explanation and I don't want to confuse you. I am lucky this time to have in my studio the three top models of all companies: Yamaha Genos, Korg Pa5x, Ketron Event. Each of them has its positives as well as its negatives. But what I can tell you with absolute certainty is that the Event is the most creative (especially in the creation of styles) that has ever been made. And since you're an Audya fan (as I am), listen to this demo of what an Audya style sounds like through the Event. Believe me, I don't want to go back to it (to Audya that is) even though I have two Audyas (Audya 76, Audya 5) and they still work flawlessly!!

Audya Style convert to Event demo
https://app.box.com/s/ovs1dg6lhq8ilrjix8yaev570l8f19b7

Also here I have a small demo with the same song (a Greek song), so that you can see how a Pa5x style (and Pa5x in general) sounds versus Event. It's not a representative sample, but you'll get an idea https://youtu.be/BxvO1e-bOhI

Edited by Sokratis 1974 (08/22/23 12:02 AM)

#508960 - 10/02/23 05:07 PM Re: Ketron Event vs. SD vs. Audya [Re: Dreamkeeper]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think altogether too many musicians make their decision about overall ‘sound’ WHILE THEY ARE PLAYING. This, IMHO, is a terrible idea.

Your attention is split between too utterly different functions. Listening, and playing. If you want to decide about overall sound, carefully record (.wav only, please!) the arranger while you play, hopefully do the same with your old arranger.

Then sit back, relax, have some quiet time (give yourself an hour to ‘clear’ your hearing), make sure utter silence around you, and then play the files back to back (put your audio player into ‘random’ mode, so you don’t know which one is playing!) and then spend 30 minutes doing NOTHING but listen…

This makes for a good ‘apples to apples’ comparison.

Obviously, features, new sounds, new effects, yeah, you want to actually PLAY them to see how they feel under the fingers. But try to record while you do this (if in a store, use a little picket digital recorder) and once again, listen after time to relax.

You can hear details you completely miss while you’re playing…

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online