SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#27231 - 03/21/00 12:57 PM Dance X Techno expansion boards
Mgomes Offline

Loc: São Paulo (SP)/Brazil
Hello, JV/XP users!

I´m want to buy a expansion board for my JV synth to work with dance/techno/EBM...
What board is better: Dance or Techno?
How are the quality of patches, waveforms, rhythm sounds, etc..?

Mgomes

#27232 - 03/22/00 05:16 PM Re: Dance X Techno expansion boards
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
mgomez,

Some may not agree but I bought the techno expansion board and am dissapointed with it. The loops are largely useless and the vocoded sounds are a valuable waste of PCM ROM! There are some nice pad and lead sounds and the drum kits are OK but that is about it. If I could sell this board for what I paid for it (and I can't!) I would get rid of it!

I bought it origionally thinking it was the 'Dance' board with a different name. Boy was I wrong!!!!!!

The older dance board (which I couldn't get anymore because Roland got sued over it for copyright reasons) was much much better.

The loops were very useful and the other sounds were great. Although some of these patches are a bit dated now (this was in 1995 afterall!) they can be reprogrammed and the onboard drum kits are great also.

I have the MDC1 Dance expansion module for all these sounds and it is used very often!

Also check out the Hip Hop board for slower (bad excellent) loops and fantastic patches and drum kits. This board rocks!!!!!

I don't personally recommend the techno board but give it a try because everyone's opinions/tastes are different. Cheers.

#27233 - 03/23/00 01:07 AM Re: Dance X Techno expansion boards
ullah Offline

On my xp-30 the sounds from the techno board is the least used... some of the basses are okish, but if you can believe it, I think I have actually programmed better sounding bass sounds on my old Ensoniq SQ-2.

#27234 - 03/28/00 07:06 AM Re: Dance X Techno expansion boards
Mgomes Offline

Loc: São Paulo (SP)/Brazil
Tthank you, for the information. I´ve decided on a used Dance board....

Mgomes

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online