SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#21853 - 12/23/00 06:29 PM Help me - I need advice
helpjunkie Offline

Loc: Mt Eliza, Victoria, Australia
I'm looking for a synth on which I will be able to mix all my own music. I want decently weighted keys (so it feels like a piano), enough channels so I can do full orchestrations, be able to playback from the computer through the synth (I have Sibelius for Win 95) , I also want to mix a fair bit of techno stuff. In other words, I want enough voices so I don't have to buy a separate module to go with it. If anyone can recommend places or products to check out, it would be much appreciated!
Thanks, helpjunkie

#21854 - 12/23/00 08:46 PM Re: Help me - I need advice
KeyboardFreak Offline

Well..... I don't have the time right now to type out a whole in-depth thing.... so I'll just list a few synths that will be recommended by almost everyone on this board, and a few web sites to research them at. Synths..... Korg Triton, Kurzweil K2500/K2600, Roland XV88, Yamaha S80, Roland XP60/80, Maybe some arranger's too....... Solton X1, Roland G1000 and EM2000, Yamaha PSR 740/9000, well..... that ought to do for starters..... now some basic stuff, first 5-7 (before the arrangers) are either workstations or just basic synths.... workstations let you record stuff directly on the synth..... WS's-Triton, Kurz's, XP's..... arrangers will do this too..... I think. Any way.... for the web sites, try www.zzounds.com www.musiciansfriend.com www.harmony-central.com (maybe without the "-") www.gearprice.com (get some good prices) www.sonicstate.com A few questions.... 1. what's the price range?? 2. I assume you are going to record stuff on the computer??? 3. Do you want something like an arranger that has auto-accompaniment, styles, hard drives, etc., etc???? 4. Do you want sampling??? that's about it... hope something helped

------------------
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

#21855 - 12/27/00 04:04 PM Re: Help me - I need advice
helpjunkie Offline

I'm pretty sure about getting the Roland XV88, as I found it for only $1928US. Do you recommend this one?

#21856 - 12/27/00 05:20 PM Re: Help me - I need advice
KeyboardFreak Offline

Yes actually I do (although some might recommend another... particularly Triton)..... the XV-88 is the keyboard I use. Just a few points to make sure you know though..... the XV-88 has no sampler, you can however add many new sounds via expansion boards.... 20 in all now?? Also the XV-88 has no sequencer onboard and I think some site told you that you could save midi's to smartMedia cards and play them..... you can't do that. All in all though.... I really like this synth, especially the sounds.... I messed around with quite a number of other synths and found this one to be the best sounding overall to me. I don't do techno.... but I'm sure it can handle it..... BTW, where did you find it for $1900+????? Is that used?? I ordered mine through a pastor at my church who can get some good discounts and was able to get it down to around $2100.... $1900 is an awesome price!

------------------
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

#21857 - 12/27/00 09:54 PM Re: Help me - I need advice
helpjunkie Offline

Since I'm kinda new at this, what does is mean if the synth doesn't have a sampler or onboard sequencer? I'm pretty sure it's advertised as having an onboard sequencer. Anyway, I found it at keyboardshop.com. Using the link that YOU told me to use (www.gearprice.com).

#21858 - 12/27/00 10:31 PM Re: Help me - I need advice
helpjunkie Offline

Do you know of a computer program that can act as an external sequencer?

Thanks

#21859 - 12/29/00 09:19 AM Re: Help me - I need advice
KeyboardFreak Offline

I think it may be advertised as having an onboard sequencer...... but all it has is the ability to play midi files from an external sequencer..... you CANNOT record midi's or play midi's with the XV-88 alone. A sampler basically records a short "snippet" of an instruments sound, and then maps it to the keyboard...... so in other words... you can record an acoustic guitar with a sampler and then get that same sound from your synth (99.9% sure... someone correct me if I'm wrong) also you can put drum loops on the sampler and trigger them from the keyboard as well. I don't think you really need a sampler for the sounds themselves if you get the XV..... the XV has an awesome bank of preset sounds and tons of expansion boards if you just can't find the one you need. As for the drum loops.... if you are looking to add some percussion you will need a drum machine or sampler or whatever to do that. The XV really can't do this to well, unless you have a sequenced drum part playing via midi from an external sequencer.

As for the computer program...... almost any midi sequencing program will do this..... some of these include: Cakewalk Home Studio (I just got HS 8.0.... looks pretty cool... although I haven't really messed around with it yet) Cubase VST(is that right?), Logic........ Sibelius might even do it... although I don't know. Just look for a program that says it can record midi..... some audio tracks would be good too, if you have a line in on your computer. Oh well... hope this helps.

------------------

#21860 - 01/04/01 06:13 PM Re: Help me - I need advice
helpjunkie Offline

Do you have the full version of any of those programs you were talking about?

#21861 - 01/04/01 07:51 PM Re: Help me - I need advice
KeyboardFreak Offline

Just CakeWalk Home Studio 8.0......... Actually what I use most for midi is a little trial version of NoteWorthy Composer...... It has the best notation entering I've found. It is really easy if you like entering midi info from a staff view.

------------------

#21862 - 01/05/01 02:19 PM Re: Help me - I need advice
OldSchool Offline

Loc: Lexington, KY USA
KeyboardFreak:
C'mon, guy, send Noteworthy their $39! Don't be cheap!

I've been using Noteworthy for 3 years, and the latest upgrade is really helpful. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's still keystroke-oriented. The better music manuscript applications (I've used Finale, and seen others) have drag-and-drop notes and rests, which is a lot handier.

But, if you're comfortable with traditional staff music writing, for $39 you just can't beat Noteworthy! Send 'em their due! I'll lend it to you until payday if you need! ;-)

[This message has been edited by OldSchool (edited 01-05-2001).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online