SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#22670 - 07/07/03 09:36 AM Need Help with Roland XP 60 Workstation
labrune Offline

hello,
I need some help or have a question. I composed a song on my pc using Harmony Assistant. The song has about 6 tracks. When I play the song on the roland xp 60 it choses the Perform Setting Pop Set 1. I was wanting to know if I change the Perform to another setting and change each tracks voice to something else is there any way to save the song back to the disk with the new track voices? Everytime i change each track and then write it to the sequencer it doesn't save the new settings.

please help.

#22671 - 07/08/03 07:47 AM Re: Need Help with Roland XP 60 Workstation
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi labrune,

I use a Roland JV1010 and I'm pretty sure it works very much like the XP60 as far as being in performance mode. I could set up a user performance with the sounds preselected for each track. In that case, the sequence should not contain patch change events (but they could). I don't do it this way.

What I do is I send a bank select and patch select event as the first events in a track, then all the synth has to be set at is "performance mode".
For this you need to know the synth's MSB and LSB values for each bank. For example for the JV1010's Bank D (GM), the values are 81 and 3, respectively. Bank A is 81 and 0, respectively.

I also name the track in the sequencer by; synth name, bank name and patch # as opposed to a patch name. Sometimes my sequences use more than one synth, so it's extremely helpful to know which synth, bank and patch, should be playing for the track.

The MSB's and LSB's are often found in the Midi Implementation Chart found generally in the User's Guide. If you don't have one for the XP60, you might find an implementation chart on the web.

My sequences often leave tracks 1-4 open. Almost always at least track one. This is so I can play track one on the synth's keyboard while the sequence is playing on the other tracks.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.
<><
Bob

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 07-08-2003).]

#22672 - 07/08/03 09:58 AM Re: Need Help with Roland XP 60 Workstation
labrune Offline

i'm afraid this is way over my head. I just acquired the keyboard a few weeks ago. Started playing around on it and saw that it would play midi files from a floppy.

Now on this particular song it uses track 1, 5-10

so tracks 1, 5-10, i want to change the voices for each track..........
like I said........i don't understand anything about banks and stuff........i just loaded the song...it played and started off in some strange performance mode that i didn't like and wanted to change.......

is there any place i can go to read up on this? I have no manual..the keyboard is used.

thanks for the help!

#22673 - 07/08/03 11:44 AM Re: Need Help with Roland XP 60 Workstation
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hey labrune,

You can go to http://www.harmony-central.com and go into the MIDI section and there's some good reading about MIDI and MIDI messages. I'm sure there's probably lots of other sites that talk about how MIDI messages and devices work.

You aquired an excellent keyboard. I love the XP60. I had an XP50 once but I didn;t like the keyboard's action. The XP60 has much better action.

It sounds like it's possible the midi file you played has patch change and maybe bank change parameters in it, but you created it with Harmony Assistant. I think with the XP60, when your in performance mode you can toggle through the "parts" by hitting the Part up or Part down buttons no? then you can also hit the inc and dec buttons to scroll through sounds.

I think you can select your sounds this way for tracks 1, 5-10 and then save the performance as a user performance. Then you will have to make sure you select this user performance then play the sequence.

Peace
<><
Bob

#22674 - 07/08/03 01:27 PM Re: Need Help with Roland XP 60 Workstation
labrune Offline

ok yes I understand about the changing the voices while in performance mode. I got that. I guess I was wondering how do you write it back to the floppy after I have changed the track voices.

Is there no way for when the song to play it will automatically play everything the way I had it sent? I first have to choose the user performance button and then play file?

i don't have a manual for this keyboard so i don't know how to do anything except just what i have learned from playing around on it.

how do you setup a user performance? also once i select the user performance and then play the file are you sure it won't switch the voices back to the same thing?

i appreciate all the help!

#22675 - 08/02/03 10:44 AM Re: Need Help with Roland XP 60 Workstation
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Are you saving back to the floppy as song+sound? Under filetype select song. If you right arrow from there you should be able to select song only or song and sound. Save as song+sound.

[This message has been edited by FAEbGBD (edited 08-02-2003).]

#22676 - 08/20/03 08:39 PM Re: Need Help with Roland XP 60 Workstation
stillme Offline

Loc: Michigan/US
Quote:
Originally posted by labrune:
ok yes I understand about the changing the voices while in performance mode. I got that. I guess I was wondering how do you write it back to the floppy after I have changed the track voices.

Is there no way for when the song to play it will automatically play everything the way I had it sent? I first have to choose the user performance button and then play file?

i don't have a manual for this keyboard so i don't know how to do anything except just what i have learned from playing around on it.

how do you setup a user performance? also once i select the user performance and then play the file are you sure it won't switch the voices back to the same thing?

i appreciate all the help!

I think what you want to do, after you've changed all the sounds and performance to what you want, you have to go into "disk" on your keyboard and then "save" it onto a floppy. You can rename it or keep it the same and it'll write over the old file. This should work, let me know. I got mine a couple years ago and I'm still trying to learn everything!

-Tracey

#22677 - 08/21/03 03:40 AM Re: Need Help with Roland XP 60 Workstation
labrune Offline

I thank you all for your kind help & advice. I wasn't fully understanding what I needed to do so I just called Roland and the guy told me I needed to go back into my music and insert a blank measure in the beginning. Save it to a floppy then load it in the keyboard then he gave me steps on deleting the first measure and then setting my voices and saving back to the diskette. I was so pleased and it was so easy!!!
Thank you All!!!!!
Leigh Ann

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online