SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#18250 - 11/12/00 04:57 PM Korg CX3 vs. Hammond XK-2
Ham Comet Offline

Loc: Cape Elizabeth, ME, USA
What does everyone out there think about these two products? They're the only B3 simulators that currently offer authentic keys (though the korg does have a lip on the end of theirs, for some ridiculous reason). I played them both at Sam Ash in NYC recently, and it seemed to me that the CX3 sounded fuller and more badass, while the XK2 sounded more useful for jazz, while having much less body and intensity than the CX3. I didn't like the fact that the CX3 produced a sound when you let the key up as well as when you pressed it down for staccato notes, but I don't know if this is alterable or if it's realistic for a B3. Anyone who has any ideas or thoughts, please respond. Thanks!

#18251 - 11/12/00 06:48 PM Re: Korg CX3 vs. Hammond XK-2
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
That little lip at the front of the keys does NOT change it's feel or the sound, so add the Roland VK7 to your list. The three sound very different in small ways. THe VK7 has the most authentic leslie (and very adjustable too) the Korg is very ballzy and thick sounding, and the Hammond has a great overall tone. For the moment - I think I lean toward the Korg. It has a solid feel and I prefer the low end. If I had to rate the three it'd be:
1)Korg
2)Hammond
3)Roland
2nd & 3rd are VERY close - on any given day, I can change my mind about teach of them. For right now - the new Korg is pretty cool.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online