SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#16841 - 10/06/00 09:42 AM N364 VS 01/W
Carlos Carbone Offline

Loc: Panama, Panama, Panama
I bought a N364, thinking it was an upgrade from my old 01/w (which I sold), I think maybe it was a mistake, what do you think????

------------------

#16842 - 10/18/00 08:07 PM Re: N364 VS 01/W
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
You fell into the same trap I nearly fell into when I wanted to 'upgrade' to the O1Wfd from my beloved Korg T3EX.

When the O1 came out, I though- hey this thing fixes the limitations of the T3 like only 16 notes of polyphony, some real time fx control and a 16 track 'slightly better' sequencer.

But after spending a day in 2 music shops playing the 01, I decided to keep my T3- why, because whilst the 0 series were an update to the T series, I felt that my T3 sounded 'better'. The same waveforms in the O1 did not sound as good as the T series waveforms and some of the T series drum sounds were way better than the O series sounds (and actually found their way back into the N series instruments!!!!!).

So I kept my T3 and was glad I did- not that I'm daming the O1W- the opposite in fact- it's a great board even to this day!!!!

But the X and N series were introduced after the O series claiming to be the 'next big thing' by Korg but in fact their sound was even less 'ballzy' than both the O and T series synthes. I played an X3 and thought 'this sounds shit!'. Likewise for the N364 and N1R which I tried out. Yeah, the N series give you an arpeggiator, more real time control, more polyphony and more waveforms but their operating system leaves alot to be desired compared to the O and T series and they sound just so much 'thinner'!

I myself would have kept the O1Wfd but really you've got your N364 now so make the most of that- or go out and buy a Triton (which wipes the older Korg synthes dry!!!!).

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online