SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#17657 - 05/05/03 03:33 PM Korg i5S floppy problems
emilzd Offline

Loc: Croatia
On my Korg i5s the floppy disks don't play with constant quality. Sometimes (while playing a midi file) they stop in the middle of the performance, which is extremely unwanted and embarassing for me and for the audience. I have tried solving the problem with cleanning kits, using old DD disks(they seem to play better) but it seems that the problem is really with the drive. Is it possible to replace the floppy drive with a standard computer floppy drive, or does it have to be the original one?I live in a remote corner of the world in Croatia, where it is complicated to get a good service for synths and all such adventures are rather expensive. Can anyone give me a hint what to do? Thanks in advance,
Emil from Zadar, Croatia

#17658 - 05/05/03 04:11 PM Re: Korg i5S floppy problems
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Hello............There should be nothing special about that floppy drive. Any cheap floppy drive should work. You should be able to do it yourself fairly easily and CHEAPLY!
Good luck.

#17659 - 05/06/03 06:13 AM Re: Korg i5S floppy problems
emilzd Offline

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
Originally posted by rattley:
Hello............There should be nothing special about that floppy drive. Any cheap floppy drive should work. You should be able to do it yourself fairly easily and CHEAPLY!
Good luck.

Thanks!
Yes, yes, but inside the synth the floppy is not just plugged in like on an ordinary computer but it has soldered connections on both sides. The cable is thin as paper and I see no way as to how to build an interface.

#17660 - 05/14/03 12:24 AM Re: Korg i5S floppy problems
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I don't know the I5S drive but with drives from other manufacturers the main failure is the rubber belt that drives the disk. It usually stretches over time and begins to fail ie. slip. often finding any belt that provides a tight fit will work. I fixed my Yamaha SY77 by fitting an old VCR belt to my disk drive. It's worth looking at if you have a rubber belt driven disk drive before deciding the disk drive has died.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online