SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#15831 - 06/13/06 05:38 AM Genesys XP Expansion Slot
donpatt Offline

Loc: Lufkin, TX.
Dave McMahan and group,

What is the function of the expansion slot on the rear panel of the XP? What type of media card or disk does it accept. Also, can one download directly from the internet to the XP?

Many Thanks,
Don

#15832 - 06/13/06 07:02 AM Re: Genesys XP Expansion Slot
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by donpatt:
Dave McMahan and group,

What is the function of the expansion slot on the rear panel of the XP? What type of media card or disk does it accept. Also, can one download directly from the internet to the XP?

Many Thanks,
Don

Hello Don,

There is a serial bus connection on the mainboard that was originally used and can still be used for the optional SCSI interface for connecting external hard drives and CD ROM drives. In time we may see this serial bus used in other ways.

If you can be mores specific in your question regarding an internet connection I will try to answer this for you.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#15833 - 06/13/06 07:16 AM Re: Genesys XP Expansion Slot
donpatt Offline

Loc: Lufkin, TX.
Thanks Dave,

I know on some keyboards one can download music oan/or data directly to the keyboard without the need for a computer. With the Genesys is that possible?

Don

#15834 - 06/13/06 09:20 AM Re: Genesys XP Expansion Slot
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by donpatt:
Thanks Dave,

I know on some keyboards one can download music oan/or data directly to the keyboard without the need for a computer. With the Genesys is that possible?

Don

Hi Don,

Sorry, I forgot to answer that one.

It is not possible to download directly from a PC to the Genesys. Unless we are talking about SysEx data that was previously saved to a librarian program from the Genesys.

Here's the thing though; you are typically going to want to back-up your data anyway, and of course that can be done using the internal hard drive. But it is even better to have a back-up on CD. With that in mind, you can burn the data you have downloaded to a CD from your computer and then load it into the Genesys and save it to the hard drive if desired. This way you will have a CD back-up in case you ever need to re-load the data. Plus there is the advantage of the Genesys not haveing to be close to the computer when transferring data.

I hope that makes sense.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 06-13-2006).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online