SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#8492 - 12/11/07 02:24 AM Help...
terryryan2005 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Hello, I am new to the music scene and would like some advise on synth's.

I would like to make Trance music, but unlike IDM artists it is pretty difficult to find out about the equipment of the likes of Sasha or The Field.

What Synth's suit the Trance genre...?

------------------
Music has the right to children, disucss...

#8493 - 12/11/07 04:37 AM Re: Help...
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Any synth with an arpeggiator, really.

Take a look at the Korg M3. It has great tools for doing trance and prog beats. Plus it has a built-in KAOSS screen.

------------------
Al Giordano
http://www.arrangerworld.com

Tyros 2, Yamaha P-250, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland SPD-S.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#8494 - 12/11/07 09:42 AM Re: Help...
terryryan2005 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Cheers mate, but could you reccomend something cheaper, 1500 quid is a little out of my budget...

------------------
Music has the right to children, disucss...

#8495 - 12/11/07 09:49 AM Re: Help...
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Quote:
Originally posted by terryryan2005:
Hello, I am new to the music scene and would like some advise on synth's.

I would like to make Trance music, but unlike IDM artists it is pretty difficult to find out about the equipment of the likes of Sasha or The Field.

What Synth's suit the Trance genre...?

I recommend that you talk to a few hardcore trancers over at www.virusti.com. Professionally speaking you can make trance with almost anything nowadays but if you'd actually see the gear lists of some of the artists you've mentioned you'd go nuts. They are endless. Just go on and on listing all kinds of stuff.

In fact if I were to post my current gear list this post would get way way way too long. ...And I haven't got that much to be honest. My studio is relatively small comparing to what it used to be.

I guess if you were to look at all the kids who write music like trance to just post it on My Space their setups would be awfully similar. A program like Ableton Live for a host app, something like NI Battery or Stylus RMX for drums and a synth like the VIrus TI (or similar to). Some that are more into DJing might use programs like NI Traktor as well. None would actually rely on using workstation type synths (unless they just happen to have a cheesy old Triton or the new M3 just for fun and extra sounds).

Ask the trance folk yourself. Some of them might even know what your favourite DJs are using.

cheers,

#8496 - 12/11/07 10:45 PM Re: Help...
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Ed pretty much summed it up in the previous post and I agree with everything he said. Look into software with soft synthesis as that will provide you with everything you need to create trance tracks at a much lower cost than buying hardware synths.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online