SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#4944 - 08/04/06 01:56 AM Am I a musician or technician??
DJWhite Offline

Loc: Birmingham, UK
It seems in this day and age you HAVE to be both!

When I started out in music ten years ago, all you had to do is switch on a few synths, a computer (the Atari) and away you go producing music, three hours of solid music making. I used to be working on three tunes at once.

BUT

Nowadays, you have to set this up and that up (VST instrunemts, audio cards, bits, bitrates...). I used to look forward to a music session, now I dread it...to the point where I've thought about giving it all up because now all you NEED is a computer. It takes away the professionalism of music. You can also hear that music has no human element whatso ever! Now any Tom, Dick or Harry can get to number one!

Watching Top Of The Pops in later years made me sick, becuase, it's all about how good you can dance and creating an image, not about the music, so the music can be absolute rubbish! Have I made a point? Are musicians a dying breed? What happened to seeing all those keyboards on stage along with guitars, bass and drums. I'd like to see those days again

It seems that IMAGE and SEXY DANCE ROUTINES comes first, MUSIC comes last. I would like to think that everything goes full circle.

With this in mind, I would welcome your views on this subject, thank you.

--------------------
Duncan J. White

#4945 - 08/04/06 07:34 AM Re: Am I a musician or technician??
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Well I used to feel the same way. More or less...
Making music didn't seem like a creative process anymore. Not sure why but my perspective changed. Over the years anyway.

I think it's all down to something competitive within ourselves. when what we do no longer seems unique (or not as important and significant as we would like it to be...) it tends to lead to some type of a creative depression. Not trying to get too philosophical here.

But show business is a show business is a show business...
Good music has always been complemented by a good show and vice versa. THink of it. When you go to a club do you just go there to listen to loud music? Well no, there's booze, friends, lightshows and this dreadful noise of subwoofers and unrecognizable sounds (distorted beyond belief) preventing you from having a good conversation.

LOL

PS
Wasn't there a saying that talent alone doesn't guarantee success?

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 08-04-2006).]

#4946 - 08/04/06 10:39 AM Re: Am I a musician or technician??
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
In my view, you have "died in the wool" musicians who play conventional instruments well, but who are intimidated by technology. They struggle and are sometimes "SOL" in the marketplace. Then, there are "technophobes" who know the technological aspects of the equipment, but sound like engineers trying to play music. The lucky ones are somewhere in the middle, who can handle both ends adequately.

Same thing happens in other creative fields. In graphics and film making, for instance, equipment prices are now such that professional products(or something close) can be produced on inexpensive equipment by people who faced a shorter learning curve (think Mac production stations for around $5,000, vs. $80,000 10 years ago, Digital video cameras for $3-5000 vs. Beta cams and others for $85,000, computer editing equipment...on and on). The downside is that, with arrangers, publishing stations, video production, etc. the equipment advances allow moderately talented people to compete for music, video and graphics jobs, often resulting in a lower level of creativity and final product, and a reduction in compensation levels.

There is still a market for high end productions where creativity and talent justify adequate compensation. The trick is to take the high road, and commit to doing excellent work, with appropriate equipment.

After the production is done, it stands alone with the producers name on it. Consumers often don't care what equipment is used.

The challenge is to do projects we are proud of, which shows our ability and commitment to the art form.

After all, for me, at least, that's what it's all about!

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online