SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#3973 - 06/10/06 02:54 PM Piano Gig Help
Nate181 Offline

Loc: South Holland, IL, USA
Thank you for taking the time to read this. I need a little help on how to start doing solo piano gigs. I am fifteen years old, (going on sixteen) and have been playing for the past seven years. I have gotten many compliments on my playing style when I play in public (rarely). I am also a part time piano teacher.

I have played for my school on few occasions. I was even recommended to play at a theatre for no charge; a chance I turned down due to I was still in school and working on my finals. I am going to play for a fundraiser next Saturday, I will be performing on an imported Fazioli piano, which I was hand picked to do. I play a lot of different genres including jazz, classical, r&b, hip-hop, oldies and soul.

I have been playing free of charge so long now; I feel its time that I start charging for my musical skills. I guess I need help on the following: Where do I start, How to get my services out there, how much to charge, where to perform, and anything else you guys think I should know. Your help is greatly appreciated ASAP. Thank you!

------------------
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did.

#3974 - 06/22/06 11:02 AM Re: Piano Gig Help
ski2u2 Offline

Loc: Orange CA
Nate,

There are so many places to play: Private parties or receptions (both formal and casual), coffee houses, even Nordstrom. Be brave, talk to the store managers and ask them what they need from you - perhaps a demo CD, just a 20second "sound byte" from each of 5 or 6 selections would probably do the trick. A nice photograph of yourself plus your CD makes a great marketing tool. Maybe add a mini-resume of places you've played - like the list of accomplishments in this posting (above). Otherwise, just spread the word to friends, family, teachers, etc. As for what to charge, many places already have a set price they'll pay for soloists so that takes the guesswork out of the equation. Best of luck to you,
Andrew

------------------
Andrew

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online