SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#5471 - 12/18/05 05:36 PM Keyboard question
rdnzl Offline

Dumb new guy question to follow..........

Can I hook up a "plain" 76 or 88 key keyboard to my

Alesis Micron, so i can have a wider keyboard, and still use all the sounds of the Micron?

Do I just plug a midi cable between the two?

Any info greatly appreciated

R

#5472 - 12/18/05 05:57 PM Re: Keyboard question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by rdnzl:
Dumb new guy question to follow..........

Can I hook up a "plain" 76 or 88 key keyboard to my

Alesis Micron, so i can have a wider keyboard, and still use all the sounds of the Micron?

Do I just plug a midi cable between the two?

Any info greatly appreciated

R

Hi,

All you need is one MIDI cable; one end plugged into the MIDI OUT of your 76/88 note keyboard (Master) and the other end plugged into the MIDI INPUT of the Micron (Slave).

The only other thing you need to do is match up the MIDI channels. Over one MIDI cable, it is possible to send data on up to 16 channels. The idea here is if you had other keyboards or sound modules that you also wanted to play from your Master keyboard, you could access each instrument independently by changing the transmitted MIDI channel from your Master keyboard.

Most digital pianos and MIDI controller keyboards transmit in MIDI channel 1 by default. And it is probable that the Micron is set to receive on MIDI Channel 1 by default as well. So once you have connected the MIDI cable, try playing your Master keyboard and in all likelihood you will hear the Micron playing as well. If not, you will need to look in the user’s manuals of each instrument to find out how to change the transmit and receive MIDI channels.

NOTE: MIDI does not carry the audio signal. You still need to connect the Micron to your amplifier.

Good luck,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#5473 - 12/18/05 06:08 PM Re: Keyboard question
rdnzl Offline

Thanks for your reply!

I see on the Micron config screen, it can be set to "Midi Multi Channel" or "Midi SIngle Channel"

I'll pick up a keyboard some time this week, and a MIDI cable and try it out.

#5474 - 12/18/05 06:26 PM Re: Keyboard question
rdnzl Offline

Follow up questions....

If the keyboard controller has presets, would I be able to assign some of the presets from the Micron, on the larger Midi keyboard?

If the keyboard has dials and sliders, would they effect the tones from the Micron?

Thanks

#5475 - 12/18/05 07:25 PM Re: Keyboard question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by rdnzl:
Follow up questions....

If the keyboard controller has presets, would I be able to assign some of the presets from the Micron, on the larger Midi keyboard?

If the keyboard has dials and sliders, would they effect the tones from the Micron?

Thanks

Depending on the keyboard you get and its capabilities then yes, you will be able to create presets that include button and slider assignments to access the various parameters within the Micron.

BTW- You will probably want to use MIDI Single Channel mode for playing the Micron from the master keyboard. However, if the keyboard that you get has true MIDI controller functions, you could use MIDI Multi-Channel mode and create splits and/or layers that will access multiple parts within the Micron. MIDI Multi-Channel mode is primarily used when connecting the Micron to an external computer-based of hardware sequencer.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#5476 - 12/26/05 12:38 PM Re: Keyboard question
Anonymous
Unregistered

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!need to know how to set up alesis 8.1 as a master and be able to change programs to alesis 8.0 and alesis nano synth piano plus. I want all keyboards to remain seperate. I'm VERY new to midi but would be forever in your debt for any info. THANKS!!!!!!!!

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online