SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#2551 - 10/18/04 09:56 AM Keyboard mapping
oldskoolrob Offline

Hello. Im trying to find out a way of setting up keyboard mapping so i can control, trigger and transpose any previously recorded track. I used to use Music-x on the Amiga and this did everything. You could set a range of keys, add midi filters and sync to key or clock. You could then record that back and then control that track the same way. If you altered an old track then it would affect the keyboard mapped track too. You could even control multiple channels at the same time. I have a Kork Triton which has similar realtime patterns but you have to set up inividul notes and cant layer the tracks. Does any keyboard/sequencer/softawre sequencer do this sort of thing?

Cheers
Rob

#2552 - 10/19/04 11:16 AM Re: Keyboard mapping
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Logic does all that, but something tells me that you're a PC user.
In case if I'm right, check out Cubase and Cakewalk. They aren't as cool as Logic but at least they work on PCs.

-ED-

#2553 - 10/20/04 08:28 AM Re: Keyboard mapping
oldskoolrob Offline

Thanks. I am a PC user. I havent tried Logic. I used to use Cakewalk and Ive looked at a mates version of Cubase and I cant find what Im looking for. Are you saying you can route any track onto any range of keys in Cubase/Cakwalks and Logic? If so maybe ~Im looking on thw wrong places.

Cheers
rob

#2554 - 10/20/04 09:37 AM Re: Keyboard mapping
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Logic has something called TouchTracks. You can assign any recorded sequence to any key (basically map it how you like) and control it any way you want (Transpose it, gate it, loop it, play it backwards, toggle play etc).
I was told that Cubase has something very similar, but I can't tell you what it is called. I just know that CUbase also lets you trigger sequences from the keyboard.
Try e-mailing info@steinberg.net

I can't say anything about Cakewalk at this point. Last time I've used that was over ten years ago.

My personal opinion is simple If you do music and you want things work smooth get a Mac. RIght now a used G4 costs as much as any good PC so really, all those guys complainign about the high $$$ are full of it. BUt that's just my opinion. I'm shallow that way.

-ED-

#2555 - 10/20/04 09:43 AM Re: Keyboard mapping
oldskoolrob Offline

Hi. thanks. I will look into that. I think the Cubase way was using MROS but i thin kthats not supported in the later versions. IE SX so maybe I might try to get an older version.

thanks again
Rob

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online