SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#6294 - 01/22/04 03:29 PM sight reading
dottie12 Offline

Loc: england
Can anyone point me in the right direction for help in sight reading.
Regards Dottie

#6295 - 01/22/04 09:31 PM Re: sight reading
Anonymous
Unregistered

Flash cards. Someone on here told me to make or buy flash cards. Take an index card and on one side draw the note, and on the other side put what the note is. Same goes for learing all of those other symbols. Start with notes in the trbile clef and then move on to the bass clef. I learned how to read notes when I took a Yamaha piano course as a kid.

Hmm, come to think of it, I need to refresh myself in re-learning the notes.

#6296 - 01/23/04 01:28 PM Re: sight reading
dottie12 Offline

Loc: england
Thank you for your help, could you please tell me "what are Flash Cards" can we get them in England.
regards dottie.

#6297 - 01/24/04 05:37 AM Re: sight reading
Anonymous
Unregistered

All a flash card is is just a paper card with a note on one side and the name of the note on the other. We use them here in elementry school, for teaching math problems or letters to kids, and musical notes. You just flash the card and figure out the note. If you get a hold of a begining keyboard music book that has large notes with the letters next to them you can just copy those notes onto a index card. Or ask someone in the music department at you local collge or university they can help you out.

Also check out eMedia's Learn to Paly Keyboard Pack ($169.95 US). It's a computer- assited learning porgram for mac and pc that teaches you not only how to play but also how to sight read. Taught by a former Julliard instructor.
http://www.emediamusic.com

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online