SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1599 - 10/12/03 09:10 AM ARP OMNI Still have it five years latter
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's interesting out of all the synthesizers that I have ever owned, the one that still remains is my ARP OMNI model number 2483. And for some reason I still can not seem to part with it. Tried to sell it a couple of time but never actually did it. And for the life of me I still can figure out why I still have it? I think the reason why is becuse I have ad it for such a long time it's almost become part of me.

I bought this thing from a Pawn shop for $150.00. Why I bought it you may ask? Well a short time back I had read Mark Vail's artcile on Vintage Synthesizers in the July 1993 issue of Keyboard magazine. Anyway I walked in to the shop and saw this synth sitting on a shelf. For several weeks I kept going back to see if it was still ther and it was. It was like the synth was calling me (insert laugh here). Also it was because it was the frist vintage synth I had ever come accross. Especially in Fredercik Maryland. Which is not know for selling synthesizers. So After talking it over with my parents (still living at home with them at the time), they said I should buy it. So I did just that. The shop had told me that it did work. Of course that turned out to be a lie. But I was not about too take it back and tell them that. So I opened it up and found a pile of dust had accumilated one the inside. So I clean it up and removed all the dust. Plugged it in and turned it on still nothing. So I went looking through that same issue of Keyboard and found a place in Maryland that would repair it. Got it workig again and it sounded rather good. Not what I expected but I could not complain. A short time after that two keys died due to a cuople of contact wires under the keybaord had snapped off. Still have to get those fixed.

So here it is five years later still in wrking condidtion with the dead keys sitting on the floor of my office and still working, thogh I don't use it that much. Having two dead keys is a hinderence.

I guess after having rescued it from a fate worse then death (it's been dead once already) and getting working and holding onto it for five years it's become a part of me. Trying to get rid of it would be like giving up a child or a pet (it's not a good analogy but you get the idea). That and a slaesman told me to hold onto it. But then again I don't think it wants to be let go either. Call me crazy!

BTW: Just out of idle curiousity does anyone out there have a synth that you just can't seem to bring yourslef to part with?

#1600 - 10/12/03 10:51 AM Re: ARP OMNI Still have it five years latter
tekminus Offline

Yeah, me and my SH-5. That will never happen. I'd rather sell my TV set.

-tek

#1601 - 10/12/03 10:59 AM Re: ARP OMNI Still have it five years latter
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Well, I feel the same way about my 20-year old DX7. I've had it for 15 years now and I still program it and play it almost every day. It's funny 'cause I've got lots of other FM synths, but the DX7 is still my favorite. About 10 years ago, when I started loosing my eye sight (pretty much "0" nowadays, so I have to use special software to use computers and stuff) I labeled all the buttons on it with Braille (using dymo tape). I swear, it takes me about 2 minutes to make almost ANY sound on it. I know that synth inside-out. May be that's why I never got rid of it....
I never had any problems with it what so ever (no wonder 'cause it's built like a ****ing tank, really).

I also feel the same way about my MINI. That little bastard brakes all the time though. I keep it in my bedroom and often play it before going to sleep.

-ED-

#1602 - 10/13/03 12:05 PM Re: ARP OMNI Still have it five years latter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check this out! It's a page dedicated to the ARP OMNI on my website.
http://synth-freak2.0.tripod.com/id18.htm

#1603 - 10/13/03 04:22 PM Re: ARP OMNI Still have it five years latter
3351 Offline

Nice site Paul! (good start anyway )

And you're right, I did some checking recently and there isn't much on ARP OMNI out there. Just a bunch of basic specs, really.
Creating your own site, dedicated to one of the best string-synths ever made is a great idea!

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 10-13-2003).]

#1604 - 10/13/03 08:30 PM Re: ARP OMNI Still have it five years latter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually ED there is more too the site then just the Omni. I also have a page on synthesizer basics. Actually it's links to other peoples sites on certian synth aspects. Also a synth resource site with links too various synth related websites, plus a section on peoples music useing synthesizers.

Now the only thing is what else I should be adding to the site? I am trying to make my site different from what's out there. I don't want to be like the synth zone, or the Vintage synth Explorer. It's not a museum either. It's more of a variity of things. There is the OMNI itself, The Synth resource page with links to various sites, A synthesizers basics page with links to sites on synthesis, plus my muscisnas showcase.

So I took the best of different sites and combined them into one site. I would like to add MP3's but that I am still having trouble doing. I am useing Cute Site builder for my web site and I can add sounds but still don't know exactly how too add it. Some point I will have to get a new and faster computer to do more.

If you have any ideas please let me know?

Paul
http://synth-freak2.0.tipod.com

#1605 - 10/14/03 07:44 AM Re: ARP OMNI Still have it five years latter
3351 Offline

Oh, OK.
I don't know much about website design myself, but I've got a few good friends that do that sort of stuff. I'm sure there's an easy way to put MP3s (and whatever media like Real Audio, MPG e.t.c.) on your site.
Do you want people to be able to only listen to MP3s or download them as well?

-ED-

#1606 - 10/14/03 08:22 AM Re: ARP OMNI Still have it five years latter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually Ed I want is to have the ARP Omni page totally sperate from my synth freak page. See synth-freak as already been established but I am working on just doing a page on the ARP Omni itself. Problem is, is that I am trying too find a server to host the page for free. I don't have a lot of money so I can not afford to do a domain name. I was going to set up with Fortune City but that got all messed up becuse I did not know my user name was going to be my site name. I will have to find out how too change that. So I am going to work on building just the Omni page.

Paul

#1607 - 10/14/03 01:19 PM Re: ARP OMNI Still have it five years latter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Ed,

Okay well my new website is up and running. ARP-Omni so stop by and check it out.
http://arp-omni.tripod.com

BTW: Synth-freak2.0 is no more.

Paul

#1608 - 10/14/03 02:23 PM Re: ARP OMNI Still have it five years latter
3351 Offline

Paul!
VERY impressive site man. Well orginized, easy to get around as well as informative.
Well done indeed.
-ED-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online