SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#414 - 09/10/03 10:21 AM Stereo Volume Pedals ??
Horsehair Offline

I'm presently researching stereo volume pedals to be used in a performance setup that consists of one keyboard-based synth and at least one MIDI-slaved synth module. It's important to know that I have to control all these synths' output from just one volume pedal, which I currently do by sending a group-feed from my stage mixer to my pedal, rather than placing it before the mixer input.

All this certainly requires more signal cables, and even worse, I'm now preparing to run in stereo. As is typical, my mono volume pedal only works properly with instrument-level (hi-z) signals, so I've had to run the mixer's pre-fader effects send into it rather than the To-Amp main output. But among the stereo pedals available I noticed that a few lo-z models exist, so perhaps that is a better choice now that I'm revamping.

What are your recommendations on currently available volume pedals, and/or what do you know about these models:

Boss FV-50H – (hi-z) or FV50L (lo-z)
Boss FV-300H – (hi-z) or FV300L (lo-z)
Brownsville ???? – I have very little info on this brand
Ernie Ball Stereo 6165 – (hi-z) or Stereo 6167 – (lo-z)
Rolls RFX412 – Harmony Central reviews gave everything by this brand a big thumbs-down

I'm sure curious what other performing multi-synth keyboardists are using, and what you've learned about running a stereo keyboard rig live…

And does anyone have any experience using lo-z volume pedals in either stage or studio situations, and do you recommend that approach for a combined-instrument signal?

P.S. I am aware that it won't work to simply Y-connect multiple synths' outputs, that's why I use a small mixer. Also, a MIDI pedal set to control volume (CC=7) across all patches sounds like a viable alternative, but I'm really going for a completely audio-based method, particularly for my live rig.

#415 - 09/10/03 03:26 PM Re: Stereo Volume Pedals ??
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
It's been a long time since I had to worry about Volume pedals.
Realisticly, you're still going to need a simple, "small mixer - volume pedal-PA(or whatever)" connection.
It's the cleanest way to do it.
Getting into weird connections is going to add extra noise (the only downside of analog IN/Outs).
Boss is OK, but a bit noisy. "Boss" is not really for keyboards, even their top of the line processors can be used as white noise generators,). And most "Boss" stuff is "Line", so some stuff's gonna distort.
If I needed a volume pedal, I'd have one custom built/ Not cheap, but not noisy either. I'd even avoid 1/4 connections and go balanced XLR instead. But that 's just me.(how many synths and small mixers have balanced outs, right?)
ED

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 09-10-2003).]

#416 - 09/26/03 08:14 PM Re: Stereo Volume Pedals ??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Excellent posting there um horsehair.
If you wanted to go all out with your venture you could write to TC Electronics, and if they dont make one already,for a price, they will make one for you. The FV300L will do the trick though but I am not so sure if it allows two discrete channels sir. I think the Hi-Z unit is stereo so I am presuming the lo-imp. version does as well.
It is safe to assume that the only difference is the use of internal line matching transformers inside the roomy box and well shielded to boot. also look at names like Whirlwind and Amphenol, maybe even Proco makes something. I mean, were talking about a well sheilded 100K pot here, or well 2 of em in the case of stereo. certainly not too much rocket science here. Note that in doing this, you will no longer have the ability to lift off your ground though in case you needed to and you did say you would be using this for live performance. The neg side of the signal would dictate a common and constant ground for the stereo signal. Hums that can occur due to you will no longer be able to be eliminated by a ground lift. You may think that does not matter but your sound man may think otherwise when a big humm from you comes rolling in that he needs to get rid of quickly. 60 Hz, if loud enough can clear an auditorium. My advice would be to try the FV300L on a purchase having a good return policy. Tell the guy, hey I will try this out, but if I don't like it, I'm going to return it for a refund. If it works without humm on cement or earth (dirt) itself, it's a keeper. I doubt you will have any problems if it passes that situation.
see ya all later!
MORPH!

------------------
Exclusively "Rights Free" Production in the USA
"As far as we are concerned, it's all you. Our name goes on nothing!"
MORPH Productions Group LLC
Laguna Beach, CA 92652-0054 (USA)

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online