SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6413 - 06/12/03 10:02 AM Would still like to have a Moog Synthesizer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Even though I hace been conned out of a Minimoog synthesizer, and $350.00. I would still like to have a Moog synth. But that may not be possible, since the demand for them is so graet that the price for any moog is driven up. Even the latest Minimoog Voyager is rather expensive as well.

My feeling is that once I have played a mini or almost had one. That anything else fails in compraeison. I feel that it's too the point I either want a Moog synth or none at all. I did stop bye the Moog Music web site and they are coming out with new product but I don't know what it is? Have too wait until the Summer NAMM show is in session when Moog will unvail it. Of course I will have to wait too see it in Keybaord magazine. From what I could make out in the picture it looks like another keyboard synth, but I may have to wait until july or august.

Unless someone has a better alternative to a Moog synth. I don't think I will buy another one. I even considered a Prophet 600. Also told to look for a Korg Polysix.

#6414 - 06/12/03 10:13 PM Re: Would still like to have a Moog Synthesizer
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
Moog synthesizers are really basic . Most synthesizers from KORG , ROLAND , and YAMAHA are far more feature packed than any of the MOOG synthesizers - Except the modular systems . For example , The Minimoog has no modulation source , the third oscillator has to function in that way to give it a modulation source . So , the more complex sounds are only gonna have two oscillators for audio while the third provides modulation .

The KORG MONO/POLY has 4 oscillators , an extensive modulation source , an arpeggiator , and can function in 4 voice polyphony . The oscillators can be independantly controlled in 4 voice mode giving you a small idea of the way an OBERHEIM 4 voice can work . The Minimoog can't touch any of these features .

The KORG MS-20 has a patch panel on the front so you can bypass the internal signal routings for more complex sounds that a Minimoog can't touch either .

The Yamaha CS-15 has 2 oscillators , 2 multimode filters , 2 envelope generators , and 2 Lfo's and can make sounds far beyond what a Minimoog can do . Also it has 2 sets of Control Voltage and Trigger so it can control 2 Yamaha synthesizers at the same time .

The YAMAHA CS-40M has one of the most extensive modulation capabilites of any synthesizer that is not modular . Each module can be independantly modulated and it's duo-phonic .

The Roland SH-3 has the ability to mix different waveforms at different footages even though it's a single oscillator synthesizer . It's far more feature packed than the Moog Micromoog and this is something that the Minimoog can't do either . Not to mention a better modulation source than either one . The SH-3A is the same except for the filter is a 12db/oct filter .

The PolyMoog is not worth mentioning because it's absolute junk . If you found one that is working , when you get it home , it will NOT be .

The Roland Juno 6 , 60 , and 106 are far more reliable than a MemoryMoog . So is the KORG POLY-6 .

When the Minimoog first came out in 1970 , there was not alot of compition . By 1972 the ARP had the 2600 and the Odyssey .
In 1973 Roland released the SH-1000
Korg the MiniKorg 700
Yamaha the SY-1
These were only single oscillator synthesizers and they were mostly preset except for the Minikorg . By the late 70s synthesizers from Japan were far better as far as reliability and features .
Some Good ones
Roland SH-5 , SH-7 , SH-3 , SH-2 , SH-09
Korg MS-10 , MS-20 , 770 , MONOPOLY , SIGMA
Yamaha CS-15 , CS-15D , CS-20M , CS-30 , CS-40M , CS-70M , SK-30 , SK-50D
Kawai S-60F , S-110F , SX-400
Crumar DS-2 , STRATUS
Sequential Circuits PRO-ONE
ARP Odyssey III , SOLUS
The great thing is that each of the different manufacturers had there own way of building these things , so they each sound different .

#6415 - 06/13/03 07:29 AM Re: Would still like to have a Moog Synthesizer
Anonymous
Unregistered

If the minimoog is so basic as you say 800dv. Then why are so many people scrambleing to own one? Is it becuse of the name and the fact that it was the first American made synth? I still see people buying the Memorymoog, and the Polymoog, even though you say they are not worth it. I even see people going after the Relaistic MG-1. That was made by Moog but sold in Radio Shack.

So what you are telling me is that I should consider something other than a moog synth?

#6416 - 06/13/03 07:50 AM Re: Would still like to have a Moog Synthesizer
800dv Offline

It is mainly because of the name and the fact that the Minimoog was the first of it's kind . The first that required no patching . As for why people buy Polymoogs , you're guess is as good as mine . People by the Memorymoog because it's the only real polyphonic synthesizer that Moog Music made . Remember , by 1975 Bob Moog was out of the company . The Realistic MG-1 is actually a good buy because it's basically a Moog Rogue but with some differences .

The Rogue's oscillators are not independantly controllable , the MG-1's are . Plus the MG-1 has a square wave polyphonic oscillator , the Rogue does not .

But , yes , to answer you're question the Japanese synthesizers are cheaper and have more features . By 1983 the Japanese companies squashed all of the american companies . Sequential Circuits managed to spit and sputter till the late 80s .

Being the first does not mean you are the best , it just means you are the first . Plus prices are coming down . I still look on Ebay becuase that is where people tend to be the most idiotic as far as what they pay . I'm seeing alot of Moog synthesizers with high reserves and no one is bidding on them . Same with the japanese stuff too .

#6417 - 06/13/03 08:10 AM Re: Would still like to have a Moog Synthesizer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah! I've noticed that too. The hard part I have is trying to find a synth in good conditon. That is in good physical condition, as well as functioning properly. Whcih tends to be rather difficult at times. The ones that are in good conditoin have high prices or reserves, where as the ones that are in poor conditon ar sold for almost nothing. The ARP AXXE that I have has, some keys that tunred yellow due too age. Because ARP used Cheap plasitc keys. Also two sliders are snapped off. But they do still work.

Trying to find any vintage synth at a reasonable price is hard. You said prices were comming down? Are people looseing interest in vintage gear?

#6418 - 06/13/03 04:35 PM Re: Would still like to have a Moog Synthesizer
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
i want to become an SH101 baron. that is by far my favorite synth

#6419 - 06/13/03 10:11 PM Re: Would still like to have a Moog Synthesizer
800dv Offline

Yep , prices are coming down . I think it's because of all the VA synthesizers and people are tired of being ripped off . I saw on EBAY where some idiot actually had a ROLAND SH-2 with a reserve price of $780.00 , needless to say , no one bid on it . Another idiot had a MOOG OPUS-3 for $600.00 , no string machine makes it that high no matter who made it . No one bid on it .

The seller can ask whatever they want , but it's the buyer that has all the power . I got a ROLAND SH-2 about 4 months ago for $350.00 , that was a fair price .

There was also some jackass music store in California or something that was trying to sell their whole analog keyboard collection for a starting bid of $10,000 . Of course , no one bid on it .

I don't blame you MRT1212 , the SH-101 is a great workhorse synthesizer .

#6420 - 06/14/03 05:47 PM Re: Would still like to have a Moog Synthesizer
Anonymous
Unregistered

I see what you mean 800dv. I have ssen quite a few analog synths on ebay with high prices on them and no bids. Oh yeah! That music store with all those analog synths for $10,000.00 was back on ebay just recently. They never sell that lot for $10,000.00 I mean nobody is THAT stupid. I have seen a few muisc stores selling vintage gear at high prices. Like Big City Music in GA. Well I will keep looking.

#6421 - 06/15/03 02:02 AM Re: Would still like to have a Moog Synthesizer
POWERNOISE Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul-61:
I did stop bye the Moog Music web site and they are coming out with new product but I don't know what it is? Have too wait until the Summer NAMM show is in session when Moog will unvail it. Of course I will have to wait too see it in Keybaord magazine. From what I could make out in the picture it looks like another keyboard synth, but I may have to wait until july or august.

Look at this,
http://sound-on-sound2.infopop.net/2/Ope...17&r=9483085917

#6422 - 06/15/03 07:24 AM Re: Would still like to have a Moog Synthesizer
Anonymous
Unregistered

hmmm that's different.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online