SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#2333 - 02/17/03 06:59 PM Funeral for a Keyboard?
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
How do you finally part with gear that is beyond repair? I have been saving a Casio CZ1000 and CZ230S for all these years even though they have not worked for ages. I never could put them into the trash, silly I know!!! Well...........they gotta go!!! Even though todays synths are 1000% better, these early models hold a special place, at least in my world. Maybe I should bury them????

#2334 - 02/17/03 08:06 PM Re: Funeral for a Keyboard?
kaboombahchuck Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
Some musicians hold parties where they build huge bonfires. They put all the "dead" instruments on it as an offering to the music gods....just an idea. Might look around the boards of www.jpfolks.com to see if anyone is having one of those parties in your area.

#2335 - 02/18/03 01:36 AM Re: Funeral for a Keyboard?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Just make sure that they are really dead and just not in need of a new battery before you throw them away.

And gear today is different but not always necessarily better. I love guitars as well and each always has its own character. Keyboards while being silicon and plastic still have a unique appeal and can always be used to contribute towards making good music.

I still use an old Roland JX8P and there are many sounds that it can make that outclass even the most cutting edge synths.

#2336 - 02/18/03 09:54 AM Re: Funeral for a Keyboard?
tekminus Offline

I've got this Casio FZ-1 leaning against a wall. It's been doing that for a couple of years now. It works so I'm not selling it yet. The only synth I ever sold was my shitty Ensoniq SQ1+. I mean, what kind of brainiac designs a synth without resonant filters? If only I had gotten the EPS sampler instead 12 years ago.

-tek

#2337 - 02/18/03 02:36 PM Re: Funeral for a Keyboard?
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tekminus:
I've got this Casio FZ-1 leaning against a wall. It's been doing that for a couple of years now. It works so I'm not selling it yet. The only synth I ever sold was my shitty Ensoniq SQ1+. I mean, what kind of brainiac designs a synth without resonant filters? If only I had gotten the EPS sampler instead 12 years ago.

EPS didn't have resonant filters, nor did the ASR-10 after that, I'd love my ASR-10 to death if it did. I guess that resonant filters simply weren't the style for a time.

#2338 - 02/18/03 08:00 PM Re: Funeral for a Keyboard?
tekminus Offline

I know it didn't have resonant filters. The two were standing next to one other when I bought my first synth and I chose the SQ1+. They didn't do a very good job of explaining what a sampler does.

-tek

#2339 - 02/19/03 01:49 AM Re: Funeral for a Keyboard?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Its not just a matter of oversight that many synths and sampler around that era didn't have resonant filters. Digital filters just weren't up to the job at that time simply due to limitations of the then current technology so the choice for many companies was to either add an analog filter circuit or if that would drive up the cost, simply leave it out altogether.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online