SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#7658 - 12/05/02 08:05 PM Best operating system?
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Well..........here I go again. I asked this question last year......maybe things have changed? I had problems with Windows98SE and upgraded AGAIN to WindowsME but installed all the updates that have been released since ME's release. I still have timing probles running MIDI applications unless I reboot. Then they run fine. I had the same problem last year and went back to Windows98SE on the advice of many here. earlier this year I tried WindowsXP professional....another disaster.......many of my drivers wouldn't work, MIDI applications stumbled.............back AGAIN to Windows98SE
Well......now it's time to get a new computer. I've had my HP6460 400 mHz for over 3 years and want to get a new one. Gigastudio and a few other programs I have require a faster processor. I have always likes AMD processors over Intel, but my real decision will be .......What operating system to get? Has WindowsXP gotten better? How much longer will Microsoft support Windows98SE? Has ANYONE bought any of the new, fast (over 1.5gHz) machines......and how do your music programs run? This is a HUGE question......but I want a minimum of problems updating to a new machine. Thanks -- CHARLEY

#7659 - 12/05/02 09:28 PM Re: Best operating system?
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Windows ME = shit.

A lot of music people seem to use Windows98SE or Windows XP. Computer geeks favor either Windows 2000 or XP.

If you're having MIDI problems, my guess would be that you're using a serial > MIDI adapter and you have a cheapo motherboard. For that system, you could try a dedicated MIDI interface, but since you're getting a new computer altogether, research your mobo's and get a feel for which companies release quality and which ones release shit. Compaq/Dell/Gateway are more likely to give you shit mobo's, even though I must say that even my craptastic Compaq that I used for 2 years could handle MIDI without a hitch.

Personally, I use Windows 98se with Logic Gold 4.8. Emagic strongly suggested that people use win98 with version 4, and finally released version 5 earlier this year which was compatible with XP. Then in July Apple bought emagic and dropped PC support.

#7660 - 12/05/02 09:28 PM Re: Best operating system?
kaboombahchuck Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
OS 9

#7661 - 12/05/02 09:36 PM Re: Best operating system?
Blacklight Offline

I switched from 98 which was absolutely falling apart with the music software even right after a format and reload of the operating system. It was VERY unstable running Cakewalk SONAR. I got fed up last night and loaded Windows XP Pro into the thing (had a free copy sitting around that was given to me for attending a Micro$oft convention). I can honestly say that my system is running faster and definitly seems more stable....so far.

#7662 - 12/06/02 07:52 AM Re: Best operating system?
tekminus Offline

I've been using XP since nov last year and I can't believe the blue screen of death is gone. The only crashes have been from programs sometimes exiting back to windows. Mainly old games.

-tek

#7663 - 12/06/02 09:24 AM Re: Best operating system?
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
Yes Kaboom - Mac OS . All windows OS are a disaster . There is no such thing as a windows machine that runs as well as a Mac . There never has been , and the future don't look good either .

#7664 - 12/06/02 12:12 PM Re: Best operating system?
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
fanboy alert

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online