SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#642 - 09/09/02 09:09 PM keyboards & prices & where to find them on line
dogman Offline

Loc: arlington, texas, usa
I'm trying to help to help a mother decide which keyboard to purchase for her teenage son & family in general, to be used for piano lessons and gigs. I have suggested the Kurzweil PC2X or the General Music SK880PS. Also, does the Alesis QS8.2 compare at all the the PC2X. Could anyone recommend other keyboards. Where could any of these be purchased on line, cheaper than locally in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area ? Ideas on pricing would also be appreciated.

------------------

#643 - 09/10/02 10:30 AM Re: keyboards & prices & where to find them on line
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Of the two keyboards you listed (Alesis QS8.2 and Kurzweil PC2x) I'd say the Alesis is a better choice for now. But let me state I know of the qs8.1 and not the 8.2. So I'll write of the 8.1. I believe the Qs8.1 is about 1/2 the cost of the pc2x. I think you can get a qs8.1 for about 1000 USD and the pc2x for about 2000 USD. New of course. The pc2x to me is mainly a controller. I don't believe it comes with more than 128 sounds but it's control capabilities are better than the qs8.1. Both keyboards are weighted 88's which would be what you'd want if this would be used for piano lessons and practice. As far as a teen gigging, I think the qs8.1 might be a better stand alone unit for live gigs but this is all my opinion. I don't own either but I do know what both are and I'm a little familiar with them. I think the main thing to consider is the pc2x is mainly a controller and that doesn't sound like what you need. And it is generally twice the cost (or nearly) that of the qs8.1.

I tell you what though.. check out the yamaha s80. Personally I prefer to both the qs8.1 and the pc2x. If you shop wel enough you should be able to buy one between 1,000 and 1,200 USD. The keys on the yamaha s80 feel great (to me) and it sounds really good. It's a true synth minus a sampler. It would be great for live gigs and piano lessons.

Anyway.. this was only my humble opinion and I'm no synth master.

Peace,
Bob

Oh. PS. you can online shop at music123.com, zzsounds.com and musiciansfriend.com and ebay of course. There's many many more too.

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 09-10-2002).]

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 09-10-2002).]

#644 - 09/15/02 12:32 PM Re: keyboards & prices & where to find them on line
geosync Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA
The best bet is to let the son play the keyboards.
A musical instrument should never be a surprise.
It's personal. The mom can narrow the choices she wants within her price range, but ultimately, it should be the son's decision. That said, many professionals have chosen the PC2X such as Billy Joel and Billy Powell. They are very demanding and were using grand pianos with MIDI. They have replaced those with only a PC2X . I found it very easy to make them happy with just a few program adjustments.

All of the Keyboards you mentioned will do the job.
The selection, in the end, is a matter of the heart and not the head.

My 2 pennies

Geo

#645 - 09/15/02 12:34 PM Re: keyboards & prices & where to find them on line
geosync Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by geosync:
The best bet is to let the son play the keyboards.
A musical instrument should never be a surprise.
It's personal. The mom can narrow the choices she wants within her price range, but ultimately, it should be the son's decision. That said, many professionals have chosen the PC2X such as Billy Joel and Billy Powell. They are very demanding and were using grand pianos with MIDI. They have replaced those with only a PC2X . We found it very easy to make them happy with just a few program adjustments.

All of the Keyboards you mentioned will do the job.
The selection, in the end, is a matter of the heart and not the head.

My 2 pennies

Geo

#646 - 09/16/02 06:44 AM Re: keyboards & prices & where to find them on line
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Where to find keyboards on line ?

OR call Piano Man in Baltimore Md. 410 747 0200 ask for dano

danosmusic@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 09-22-2002).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online