SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1639 - 06/21/02 05:45 AM Effects Processors
Rael Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
OK everyone, sorry to sound like an idiot, but I know pretty much nothing about effects processors. I mean, I know the basics of most of the common effects (delay, reverb, chorus, flange etc...) but my knowledge of how to do these in practice extends little beyond the realm of guitar stomp boxes. Can anyone recommend any decent all-round or specific effects units to be used predominately with synths? I am especially interested in delay, or any different/unusual effects.

#1640 - 06/21/02 07:31 AM Re: Effects Processors
tekminus Offline

Some of the t.c. electronics boxes, like the Fireworx, have special fx and great usual stuff too. They're a bit pricey though. Lexicon is another big name. I would probably go for one of their budget processors, if I was buying something right now. Check out the MPX series.

-tek

#1641 - 06/21/02 09:53 AM Re: Effects Processors
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Digitech, Boss, Alesis. These have never given me any grief. There's a unit I tried once, but haven't been able to locate again, and it's called "Mr. Rack"....anyone??
You mentioned something to be used primarily with your synth. What synth are you using and are you unable to tweek the parameters within the synth, to give you delay or whatever??

#1642 - 06/21/02 09:55 AM Re: Effects Processors
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
By the way......No, you don't sound like an idiot.
Good Luck in your search....Leon

#1643 - 06/22/02 04:53 AM Re: Effects Processors
Rael Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
thanks leon. at the moment, i'm pretty synth deficient also, all i have is a cheap dx7 i'm messing around with. I'm planning on getting one or two nice old analog synths (probably roland) and eventually a modern synth, perhaps a virus or novation, but i'm not really too sure. what kind of prices are we talking about with your suggesions?

thanks
rael

#1644 - 06/22/02 02:30 PM Re: Effects Processors
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Good effect processors are expensive.
As you mention you like to have another synth, You might think of a Kurzweil K 2600S.
The built in KDFX can be used as an effectprocessor for external gear (as long as the sample option is installed as this option comes with the inputs needed.)
This way you have more effects as ever dreamed off..

#1645 - 06/22/02 05:07 PM Re: Effects Processors
kaboombahchuck Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
The Alesis nanoverb runs less than $100 US. It don't have alot of synth effectts, but enought to make it woth while. I also use a Behringer V-amp II ($125 US) to make all kinds of wierd sounds.

#1646 - 06/22/02 11:18 PM Re: Effects Processors
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
I can vouch for the Boss VF-1. Musicians friend sells them for $299, EBay is cheaper. Here you get everything. The reverbs aren't as smooth as the Lexicons, but they aren't bad either. Plus you get echos, chorus, flange, phase, tremello, rotary, ring modulator, lofi filters, AM radio or turntable effects, guitar and keyboard amp simulations, stompboxes, compressor/limiter, EQ, mic simulation, vocoder, and other useful and weird stuff I'm forgetting. The compressor can get a bit noisy, but learning how to use it and the noise gates can really diminish the problem. You cannot find a better all around unit in my opinion. Good for keys, guitars, vocals, whatever. For superb quality effects I'd probably go Lexicon, but for very good effects, and loads of them (while on a budget) the Boss VF-1 definitely gets my vote.

#1647 - 06/23/02 12:41 AM Re: Effects Processors
tekminus Offline

Believe me, after a while you just crave for a really good reverb sound. This applies to everyone. The novelty of weird fx wears out and you sit there and wish that reverb tail didn't stick out like..eh a cheap reverb.

-tek

#1648 - 06/23/02 06:19 PM Re: Effects Processors
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
That's very true, and the best advice I've seen from tek !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online