SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#927 - 05/09/02 03:47 AM XP-80 Help
Charles Allen Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon US
I have been trying to get my xp-80 to play different sounds on different midi channels from a different sequencer(i.e.Trinity, Triton, ASR-10) but I cannot figure this out at all. I believe that I need detailed instructions from someone that really knows. I've gone through the manual as well as all over the the web. None of the suggestions that I've found seem to work. I have no problem doing this with any other equipment in my setup so my connnections don't seem to be the fault. I can play on one midi channel of the xp-80 from another source. Please, again, Any help will help. Thanks all.

------------------
Charles "Tastee" Allen
Owner:Tastee Productions
Recording Studio
Portland, Oregon
(503)756-1050
http://tasteeproductionsrecording.websitegalaxy.com/
Portland, Oregon
(503)756-1050
http://tasteeproductionsrecording.websitegalaxy.com/

#928 - 05/21/02 01:37 PM Re: XP-80 Help
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Charles,

I do not actually know this particular keyboard, but I would assume that the principle is the same.

So to paraphraze your question, you have multiple sequencers and you want to play all of these sequences at the same time. You want to assign a channel number per track. So I assume XP-80 is 32 multitimberal meaning it can play 32 distinct channels at the same time. In order for it to do that, it needs two midi inputs because each midi port handles 16 channels only. After worrying about midi connections (most likely you will be needing a midi patchbay to do all of that, and I assume you already know how to connect all of this), in my keyboard, I would go in song mode and select midi configuration. For each track, I would select the midi channel and select the midi input. Then you need to worry about clocking and since you are playing for multiple sequencers, it is vital you have once clock source and you handle this through a smart batchbay. So it seems to me what would make since is that you set XP-80 to internal clock and export clock to all other devices and thus you need to worry again about the midi out ports in XP80 and set all other squencers to external.

However, it maybe your problem is as simple as playing only ONE sequencer at a time. In this case, this should be a piece of cake. Take care.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online